On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 28 April 2018
109th Annual Nanango Show
- The main public day of the 109th Annual Nanango Show will get underway at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango at 7:00am this morning when the gates open and prime cattle judging begins. This will be followed by horse events and stud cattle judging (8:00am); barrel racing and rodeo events in the main ring (10:00am); and chainsawing and wood chopping events, along with a fashion parade in the canteen area (11:00am). The Show's official opening will occur at 1:30pm and will be followed by trotting (2:00pm); woodchops (3:00pm); a rodeo (3:00pm to 5:30pm); a hypnotist (5:00pm) and mini trots (5:30pm). Other features of this year's Show to look out for include a big Sideshow Alley, lots of great amusement rides, vintage midget cars, a Dexter Cattle Show, live music by Jeff Hancox and Arthur Nettelfield, Quilts Of Love, a sculpture and firewood auction and the great Heritage Nanango fireworks display in the evening. Admission is $15 for adults and $10 for pension card holders and children over 14, but children under 14 accompanied by a paying adult can get in for free. A bar, BBQ and lots of food stalls will be operating in the grounds throughout the day and well into the night as well. More details? Phone the Show Society office on (07) 4163-1273. You can also find out more details on the Nanango Show Society's website.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Central Australian Aboriginal Art Sale - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt and Benarkin Aged Care Association will be holding a Central Australian Aboriginal Art Exhibition and Sale at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 10:00am to 3:00pm today as a fundraiser to help expand the Scott Haven retirement complex. The auction will feature a wide range of works from the Tangentyere Artists of Alice Springs that have been collected over the past 25 years, and you can read more about this unusual event on our website
John Koehler - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer John Koehler will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Mothers Day Twilight Market - Goomeri
- The Goomeri Pumpkin Festival committee will be holding a Mothers Day Twilight Market at the market square in the Rail Trail grounds between The Emporium and the Grand Hotel from 3:00pm to 8:00pm today. The markets will feature food, unique home-made gifts, a mobile cafe, a jumping castle and other activities for children, and local shops will be open as well. More details? Phone (07) 4168-7116.
Rock & Roll Trivia Night - Kingaroy
- St Mary's Catholic College P&C will be holding a Rock & Roll Trivia Night at the college's Maryknoll Centre at 10 Kent Street, Kingaroy from6:30pm (play starts at 7:00pm sharp) to around 11:30pm tonight. Play will take place in teams of 8 and there'll be a bar and snacks available, so the minimum age to play is 18. Tickets are $80 per table (ie $10 per head) and everyone is welcome!
MC Wheels Hip Hop Party - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be hosting an MC Wheels Hip Hop Party from 9:00pm until late tonight. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Spirit Of The Bush Balladeers Muster - Boondooma
- The fourth day of the five-day Spirit Of The Bush Balladeers & Heritage Muster will be held at Boondooma Homestead at 8262 Durong-Mundubbera Road, Boondooma today. This popular annual campout event features lots of Australia's top bush balladeers and poets (more than 50 will be appearing at the Muster this year) along with walk-up artists. The Muster routinely attracts 700 to 800 caravanners plus day-trippers, and in addition to bucketloads of non-stop great music there'll also be great camp oven meals, a licensed bar, BBQ, stalls, displays of vintage cars and engines, photography and historical items. Tickets are $105 for the full five days of the festival, or $30 if you just want a day pass for today only (children under 15 are free). Bush camping is available on-site and can be booked by phoning the Homestead's caretakers on (07) 4168-0159. You can also get a full program of this year's Muster in PDF format by clicking here.
Saturday Rugby League
- Rugby League games will be played today in Kingaroy and Murgon. At T.J. O'Neill Oval in Kingaroy, the Red Ants will be taking on the Central Burnett Brumbies in junior games from 9:30am. At 3:15pm, an U18s game between the South Burnett Eagles and the Dalby Diehards will be played. This will be followed at 4:45pm with an A Grade game between Kingaroy and Murgon. At Murgon Sportsground, junior Mustang games against Cherbourg will start at 8:30am. At 12:15pm, an U14s game between Murgon and Chinchilla is scheduled, followed by an U16s game ay 1:15pm, also between Murgon and Chinchilla
Saturday Soccer - Kingaroy and Nanango
- The fourth round of the South Burnett's 2018 soccer competition will be held at Nanango and Kingaroy today. In Nanango, home team Panthers will play the Barambah Bears at the Burnett Street sports fields, with the Women's Division hitting the park at 1:00pm, followed by the Men's Division at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, Gunners will play Wests at Tom Alford Oval at the end of Oliver Bond Street, with the Women's Division hitting the park at 4:00pm, followed by the Men's Division playing under lights at 6:00pm. A canteen will be operating at both venues and spectators are very welcome. And in junior soccer, the second round of this year's junior football competition will get underway at the Burnett Street sports fields at 8:00am.
John Titman Golden Steel Shoe Challenge - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Junior Motorcycle Club will be hosting their annual John Titman Golden Steel Shoe Challenge at their track in the main ring of Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street this morning. Gates will open at 8:00am with scrutineering at 9:00am, a pre-race briefing for riders at 10:30am and racing from 11:00am. Spectators are very welcome and there's no admission fee. More details? Phone Simon on 0439-716-742 or Tracey on 0407-623-012.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Polocrosse Carnival - Tansey
- The Tansey Polocrosse Club will be hosting a two day carnival at the Tansey Polocrosse Grounds off the Burnett Highway at Tansey this weekend. This will be a multi-horse event where riders can ride multiple horses rather than just one, and competitors are expected to travel from all over the state to attend. The carnival will feature Open, Junior and Mini Junior competitions. Admission is free and spectators are very welcome.
Saturday, 28 April 2018