On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 27 May 2017
Nanango Autumn Race Meeting
- The Nanango Race Club will be holding their annual Autumn Race Meeting at the Lee Park Raceway off the D'Aguilar Highway just south of Nanango from 11:00am to around 5:00pm today. Today's races will have a "1950s Retro" fashion theme and everyone is encouraged to dress up in their best 1950s0style outfits and/or accessories to be in the running for some great Moffatdale Ridge Fashions Of The Field prizes. The race club's popular Champagne@the Bit Bar will be serving up platters all day if you fancy a bite, including new bruschetta, cheese and antipasto platters; a licensed bar and BBQ will be operating under the extended covered area; the race club canteen will be open for sit-down dining; and there'll be plenty of bookmakers and an on-course tote available in the betting ring to take your wagers. There's also plenty of undercover seating and lots of parking on course. And for the benefit of people who've come to Goomeri early for tomorrow's Pumpkin Festival, there'll also be a free bus running to and from the races that will depart from Joe's Grand Hotel in Goomeri - all you need to do is phone Lesley on (07) 4163-1513 to book a seat and find out the departure time. This will be a 5 race meeting and buses will be running to the races from Kingaroy's Glendon Street Bus Depot (12:00 noon) and the Nanango RSL at 12:30pm. The first race will leave the barriers around 1:20pm but gates will open at 11:00am so go-getters can get a head start on that all-important socialising. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for pensioners (under-15s are free). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Rosemary on (07) 4163-2346 or email her.
Kingaroy Scout Group 11th Annual Show & Shine
- The Kingaroy Scout Group will be holding their 11th annual Show and Shine at the Scout Den in James Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am today as a fundraiser for the troop. Car classes that will be judged today include the Top 10 Cars Of The Show; best interior; paint; custom paint; engine buy; pre-1949 modified; pre-1949 original; 1950 to 1979 modified; 1950 to 1979 original; 1980 to current; and commercial (and similar categories for bikes). Adults can get to enjoy lots of food and drink stands along with a licensed bar - and the winners of this year's event will be announced at around 2:00pm. Admission to today's meet is a gold coin donation for spectators (under-15s are free) and registration to show your vehicle is just $10 (which includes a lucky door ticket - register on site today). Everyone is welcome!
Wondai Country Markets & Wondai Hospital Auxiliary Fete
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today, alongside the Hospital Auxuiliary's annual fete. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The Wondai Kindergarten's BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts to early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
A Night Of Fine Music - Nanango
- "A Night Of Fine Music" will be held at the Nanango Catholic Church at 37 Gipps Street, Nanango at 6:30pm this evening. The concert is a fundraiser for the Church's centenary celebrations, which will be held on September 23-24 this year. Tonight's show will feature performances by the South Burnett Community Orchestra's String and Wind Ensembles, plus piano and tenor soloists and a folk singer/guitarist. Admission is $20 for adults (school children are free) and this includes supper at interval. Bookings? More details? Phone Anne on 0439-709-214.
Ziggy And The Copycat Killers - Nanango
- Ziggy And The Copycat Killers will be performing at Nanango's Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Australia's Biggest Morning Tea - Coolabunia
- An Australia's Biggest Morning Tea will be held at Whipbird Cafe off the D'Aguilar Highway at Coolabunia at 10:00am and 12:00 noon this morning to help raise funds for the Queensland Cancer Council. Everyone is welcome!
Fiddle Me Please - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainers Fiddle Me Please will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm to 11:30pm this evening. Admission is free. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Natalie Fenton - Nanango
- Popular local entertainer Natalie Fenton will be performing at the Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Saturday Soccer - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett's 2017 soccer season will be taking a break from its normal competition this week to stage the annual Presidents Cup. The Cup matches the top two teams in each division at the end of Round 6, and it will be played at Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy. The 2nd Division match - between Barambah and Wests - will kick off at 2:00pm. It will be followed by the Women's Division clash between Nanango and Wests at 4:00pm, and then the 1st Division match between Gunners and Nanango under lights at 6:00pm. Admission to view the matches is free, and a canteen will be running. Spectators are very welcome! Meanwhile, the 2017 Junior Soccer competition will continue today at the junior soccer fields in Oliver Bond Street, with the first matches getting underway at 8:30am in all classes from U6s to U10/11s. Cadets and U12/13s will hit the park slightly earlier at 8:00am.
Trash & Treasure Sale - Kingaroy
- A Trash & Treasure Sale will be held at the Anglican Church in Alford Street, Kingaroy (opposite the police station) from 8:00am to 12:00 noon today.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding another of their popular monthly Pig On A Spit evenings from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment from a local performer and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy! There'll also be roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu tonight for those who prefer a non-pork option, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only). In addition, tonight there'll also be a Meat Raffle run as a fundraiser for Tanuringie State School. Three quality meat trays from The Little Butcher in Kingaroy will be up for grabs. Everyone is very welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their 20th weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Wyandottes Qld Annual State Championship Show - Nanango
- The Wyandottes Qld Annual State Championship Show will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango from 8:30am this morning. This year's judges will be Gary Phillips and Duane Rhall, and spectators are very welcome.
Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Dinner Dance - Goomeri
- The Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Committee will be holding their fully licensed annual Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Dinner Dance from 5:30pm tonight at the Hall of Memory in Goomeri's CBD. The smart casual attire dance is the traditional curtain-raiser for tomorrow's Goomeri Pumpkin Festival and it's always a great night out. This year music will be supplied by a local band and prepaid bookings are absolutely essential for this three course dinner and the pumpkin-inspired dancing that follows it. There'll also be novelty dances and a lucky door prize. Tickets are $50 per head and you can obtain more details and/or make a booking on the Festival's website.
Social Tennis - Murgon
- The Murgon and Districts Tennis Association will be holding social tennis games at their courts in Gore Street, Murgon from 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. New players are very welcome!
Kingaroy Junior Motorcycle Race Day
- The Kingaroy Junior Motorcycle Speedway Club will be holding a big Race Day on the main oval of Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am this morning. They'll be holding McDonald's Club Day 1 (which was rained out in March), with racing starting from 10:00am; and then following this up in the afternoon with McDonald's Club Day 2, with racing commencing at 2:00pm. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Tracey on 0407-623-012. You can also read more about the Junior Motorcycle Club on our website.
Ron Sampson Afternoon Tea - Maidenwell
- Friends of well-known Maidenwell identity Ron Sampson are invited to come along to an afternoon tea at Maidenwell Hall between 1:00pm and 4:00pm today to help him celebrate his 80th birthday. No presents, please - just your presence.
Saturday Rugby League - Wondai and Cherbourg
- Rugby league fans should head north to Wondai or Cherbourg today. In Wondai, the Wondai Wolves will play the Nanango Stags in U6s at 9:00am; U8s at 9:45am, U10s at 10:30am, U12s at 11:30am; U14s at 12:30pm; U16s at 1:45pm against a combined Murgon/Stags team; and then this weekend's A-grade clash between the Wolves and Stags at 3:00pm. And just a bit further north in Cherbourg, the Cherbourg Hornets will play Kingaroy's Red Ants in U6s/U8s at 9:00am; U8s at 10:00am; U10s at 11:00am; U12s at 12:30pm; U16s at 1:30pm; and then the A-grade match between the Hornets and Red Ants at 3:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome!
Saturday, 27 May 2017