On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 26 August 2017
The Wizard Of Oz - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Musical Comedy Society will be presenting their final two performances of the much-loved musical comedy The Wizard Of Oz at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy at 2:00pm this afternoon, and again at 7:00pm this evening. The SBMCS has won rave reviews for this production, which introduces several things never seen in South Burnett live theatre before (such as giant data projection screens, smoke machines and a brilliantly clear sound system) and tickets - which will be available at the door - are $20 for adults, $18 for concession card holders, and $15 for young people aged 5-17 (under 5s are free).
Community Morning Tea - Kumbia
- The Kumbia QCWA will be holding a community morning tea at their rooms in Bell Street, Kumbia at 9:30am this morning. The purpose of the get-together is to thank sponsors for their generous support, which has allowed the branch to install a new pressure pump in the building. Everyone is welcome!
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The Wondai Kindergarten's BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts to early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Blackbutt Tennis Club Come and Try Day
- The Blackbutt Tennis Club in Hart Street, Blackbutt (just up the road from the Radnor Hotel) will be holding a free Come & Try programme for beginners and those who wish to refresh their tennis skills from 9:30am to 11:30am this morning. Today is the fourth day of a 6-session program that will run at the courts on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Tennis racquets and balls will be available, and everyone is welcome along. More details? Phone Noeleen on 0458-539-821 or send her an email.
Fortunato - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer Fortunato Isgro will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Wondai ALP Branch Meeting
- The Wondai branch of the Australian Labor Party will be holding their August monthly meeting in the dining room of the Cecil Hotel in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 12:30pm today, following a morning at the Wondai Country Markets. If you’re not already registered to vote and would like an enrolment form, branch members can help with that. New members are always welcome, too, and you can find out more information by contacting Richie on 0473-733-088 or on Facebook. The branch is particularly interested in hearing from people who live in the Kingaroy, Murgon, Cherbourg, Goomeri, Kilkivan and Tansey areas, and welcomes people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Live Music With Sue - Blackbutt
- The Scrubby Creek Bar next to the Bunya Nut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt will be hosting live music with Sue from 6:00pm tonight. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission charge.
BGA Agriservices 2 Person Ambrose - Nanango
- The Nanango Golf Club on the D'Aguilar Highway north of the CBD will be holding their annual BGA Agriservices 2 Person Ambrose today. Names need to be in by 10:00am for a 10:30am shotgun start, and everyone is welcome. Green fees are $14 for members and $16 for non-members. More details and/or early nominations? Phone the captain on 0409-723-380.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kumbia Pop-Up Library
- The Kumbia QCWA Rooms in Bell Street, Kumbia will become a pop up library, craft and cuppa stop from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. The QCWA Rooms will have cold drinks, hot drinks and a freshly baked morning tea on offer combined with hundreds of books, DVDs, CDs and magazines, and everyone is welcome along to browse and socialise. The pop up library occurs every 2nd and 4th Saturday.
Saturday Soccer - Wondai
- The South Burnett's 2017 soccer season will be moving into the second week of its its four-week finals season today with its Major Semi Finals between the top two teams in each of the competition's four divisions. Today's matches will be played at the Wondai Soccer Fields north of the Wondai Sportsground on the Bunya Highway at Wondai, kicking off with the 2nd Division clash between Barambah and Wests at 2:00pm. This will be followed by a Women's Division match between Nanango and Barambah at 4:00pm, and then the 1st Division game between Nanango and Gunners at 6:00pm. The losers of today's matches will have a second chance in next week's Preliminary Finals while the winners will go on to play in the Grand Finals match in a fortnight. As a result, spectators can expect to see some really top, hard-fought matches today. A canteen will be running on the grounds and everyone is welcome!
Saturday AFL - Kingaroy
- AFL fans should head to Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) for a full-on day of Aussie rules footy today. The South Burnett Saints men's and women's teams are both aiming for a spot in this year's grand finals, and today's matches will determine if the three-year-old side can achieve its awesome ambitions. The women's side will take to the field at 1:00pm in a do-or-die elimination final against South Toowoomba Bombers. They'll be followed by the men's team at 3:00pm, who'll be playing against the Goondiwindi Hawks. Today's games are the last ones that will be played in the South Burnett this season and spectators and supporters are very welcome. A bar and canteen will be running all day, too.
Saturday Rugby League - Cherbourg
- The South Burnett Rugby League semi-finals for both juniors and seniors will be played today. Junior games – for the U12s, U14s and U16s – will be played in Gayndah, while the two A Grade games will be played at the Jack O’Chin Oval in Cherbourg. The winners of the Major Semi-Finals will go straight through to the Grand Finals, while the losers will play the winners of the sudden-death Minor Semi-Finals. These Preliminary Finals will be played on September 2 at Nanango to determine the second spot in the Grand Final, which will be played on September 9 in Wondai. Today's first A-grade match will be between Nanango and Kingaroy at 6:00pm; and the second between Cherbourg and Murgon will be played at 7:30pm. A canteen will be running on site and spectators are very welcome!
Rail Trail Triathlon - Kingaroy To Memerambi
- Kingaroy's Church In The Marketplace Sunday School will be running a Rail Trail Triathlon for walkers, runners and cyclists along the South Burnett Rail Trail this morning as a fundraiser for the church. The triathlon will begin at the Protoco entrance at the end of William Street, Kingaroy, at 10:00am. Bikers will ride through to Memerambi and back to Crawford (14km), while runners and walkers will finish at Crawford (7km). There'll be check points along the way, and transport can be organised for any participants who need a lift back to Kingaroy afterwards. The triathlon will conclude with a BBQ lunch offering $6 hamburgers and $2 sausages on bread. Cold drinks will be available for purchase, too, but there'll be free tea and coffee. Everyone - including dogs on leashes - is welcome to take part.
Poultry Auction - Kingaroy
- Fowl fanciers will be interested in a poultry auction that will be held at the Kingaroy Showgrounds caravan park in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 10:00am this morning. The auction will be disposing of excess quality show and breeding stock from Errol, Helen & Olivia Hetherington, along with male and female bantams, and a large range of quality birds will be on offer. Viewing begins at 8:00am and terms are cash only. More details? Phone (07) 4127-7285 or 0438-077-285.
Sunpork & Swickers Golf Day - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south-west of the CBD will be holding their annual Sunpork and Swickers Open Golf Day today. This is a 3 person ambrose and names need to be in by 9:30am for a shotgun start at 10:00am. The event is open to both golfers and non-golfers, and non-golfers will get a handicap of 20 for men and 30 for women. Green fees are $20 (which includes lunch) and everyone is welcome. More details from the golf club on (07) 4162-1720.
Suicide Awareness Charity Golf Day - Murgon
- The Murgon Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south of the CBD will be holding a Suicide Awareness And Prevention Charity Golf Day today. This is a 3 person ambrose with a shotgun start at 10:00am that's open to both golfers and non-golfers, and green fees are $15 including a BBQ lunch. Organisers promise this will be a fun day out with a green theme (to represent life), and there'll be prizes for NTP shots, the longest drive and the best dressed team. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Chris on 0417-197-518.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Saturday, 26 August 2017