On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 26 January 2019
- Today is Australia Day, a national public holiday. Australia Day marks the date in 1788 when Captain Arthur Philip raised the British flag at Port Jackson near the present-day site of Sydney and became Governor of the new British colony of New South Wales. Australia Day used to be called Foundation Day until the name was changed in 1946, but since then it's grown to become one of our key national celebrations. It's also traditionally the day when our nation hands out Australia Day Awards to outstanding citizens who've made significant contributions to the country and/or their communities. Here's your guide to what's happening around our region today:
Australia Day Breakfast - Nanango
- The South Burnett Regional Council, the Nanango Tourism and Development Association and the Nanango Show Society will be jointly hosting a free Australia Day Community Breakfast at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 7:00am this morning, followed by a morning of entertainment and treats for kids. A flag raising ceremony and the presentation of Australia Day award winners from the Nanango area will be held at around 9:00am and there will also be bush poets, the traditional dog high jumps, a tug-o-war, an Aussie singalong with Jeff Hancox and a great morning tea of damper and golden syrup at around 10:30am, followed by watermelon until noon. Coffee, tea and cold drinks will be available all morning, too, and everyone is welcome!
Australia Day At Boondooma Homestead
- Historic Boondooma Homestead on the Durong-Mundubbera Road at Boondooma will be hosting an evening celebration from 5:00pm today. Activities will kick off with a flag-raising ceremony and this will be followed by a BBQ dinner. A bus will be running from Murgon on the day (picking up at Wondai, Hivesville and Proston) but you'll need to pre-book a seat by phoning the Proston Country Bus Service on (07) 4168-9296, who'll advise you of the timetable.
Australia Day Breakfast - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Avocado Festival committee, the Blackbutt Benarkin Heritage and Tourism Association, Blackbutt Benarkin Aged Care and the Taromeo Rural Fire Brigade will be jointly hosting the Timbertowns' Australia Day celebrations at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road from 8:00am to around 11:00am this morning. Activities will kick off with a free sausage sizzle followed by a range of free family activities including a jumping castle, best dressed hat competition, gumboot tossing and rolling pin throwing and avocado rolling competitions for heaps of prizes, plus live music. Everyone is welcome!
Australia Day Breakfast - Wondai
- A free Australia Day Community Breakfast will be held at the Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 7:00am to 9:00am this morning. Apart from a great brekkie prepared by the Wondai Lions Club there'll also be live entertainment from the Wondai Town & District Band, an Australia Day Affirmation Ceremony and a Flag Raising Ceremony.
Australia Day At The Dairy Museum - Murgon
- Murgon will be celebrating Australia Day with a community breakfast and family fun morning at the Queensland Dairy & Heritage Museum in Gesslers Road, Murgon. The BBQ breakfast will be held from 7:00am to 8:00am, and this will be followed by a recognition of Murgon's Australia Day Award winners at 8:30am, then by live musical entertainment, a Flag Raising Ceremony and a great morning tea to round things out. Everyone is welcome! More details? Contact the Museum on (07) 4169-5001.
Australia Day Afternoon Tea - Proston
- The Proston Scouts will be hosting a free Australia Day afternoon tea with tea, coffee, damper and lamingtons at the troop's den in Rodney Street, Proston from 2:30pm to around 4:00pm today. Cold drinks will be on sale, too, and there'll also be a family friendly cricket game as well as a sign on day for Scouts membership. Everyone is welcome.
Australia Day Community Breakfast - Hivesville
- Hivesville will be celebrating Australia Day with a community BBQ breakfast at Anzac Park (opposite the Hivesville Hotel). The breakfast is being hosted by the Hivesville Progress Association and will get underway around 7:00am.
Australia Day Celebrations - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy's Australia's Day celebrations will be held at the Town Common Hall in Oliver Bond Street this morning, kicking off with a free community breakfast at 7:00am. This will be followed with a range of family fun activities including face painting and a jumping castle for children; bush poetry; and a Cooee Competition. At 9:00am, a Flag Raising Ceremony will be performed by the 125 Army Cadet unit, and this will be followed by a citizenship ceremony, an affirmation and the National Anthem along with performances from Sue Dowideit-Reiger, The KSHS Choir and Grant Jeppersen and friends. South Burnett Regional Council CEO Mark Pitt will be this year's special guest speaker and he will introduce this year's Australia Day Award winners from the Kingaroy area. The morning will then round out with the traditional pie and lamington-eating competitions at 9:45am, followed by a raffle draw and cane toad races. Everyone is welcome!
Australia Day Morning Tea - Nanango
- Historic Ringsfield House at 45 Alfred Street, Nanango will be open from 8:00am this morning and it will be offering tea, coffee and scones in its air-conditioned cafe overlooking Ringsfield's beautiful gardens for a truly dinki-di Australia Day morning tea experience. Bookings aren't necessary, but if you're bringing a large group you can ensure your seating by phoning (07) 4163-3345.
Australia Day Afternoon At Nanango RSL
- Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango will be celebrating Australia Day from 12:00 noon onwards with an all-Aussie fun afternoon featuring Aussie meals, games with prizes, raffles and live entertainment. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details from the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Australia Day At The Palace
- The Palace Hotel at 77 Drayton Street, Nanango will be celebrating Australia Day with an evening of live music from 5:00pm until late tonight, featuring Alex The Frenchman and Rowan Edwards (pictured at right). There'll also be some fun fundraising activities to help build an inclusive playground at Nanango's Butter Factory Park. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. More details? Phone Beau or Nathan at the pub on (07) 4163-1287.
Australia Day At The Royal
- The Royal Hotel in Toomey Street, Yarraman will be celebrating Australia Day with a dinki-di BBQ lunch from 12:00 noon today, along with a jam-packed program of live entertainment all afternoon featuring a Best Mullet competition, horseshoe tossing, gumboot tossing, a lamington eating contest and fire twirling. There'll also be a jumping castle and face painting to keep children happily amused, plus a prize for the best Australian outfit. Admission is $20 for adults and $10 for children aged 6-12 (5 and under are free). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the Royal on (07) 4163-8219.
Australia Day At The Cooyar Hotel
- The Cooyar Hotel on the New England Highway at Cooyar will be celebrating Australia Day with an afternoon of fun activities kicking off at 4:00pm. The get-together will feature thong throwing competitions, a tug-o-war, yabby and cane toad races (with a calcutta on each race), live entertainment and a jumping castle for kids. An evening meal will also be available. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4692-6185
Australia Day At Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be celebrating Australia Day with their popular monthly Pig On A Spit evening from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy for $17 per plate! There'll also be roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu for those who prefer a non-pork option, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133. PS: For those who want to come earlier, there'll also be a City v Country cricket match kicking off at 12:00 noon with sign-ups around 11:30am.
Australia Day Dinner - Blackbutt
- The Bunya Nut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt will be hosting an Australia Day Dinner from 5:00pm to around 8:00pm tonight in the Scrubby Creek Bistro. For $18 per head, guests can chow down on a dinki-di two course dinner of roast lamb and vegies followed by pavlova while they enjoy live entertainment from guitarist Jonathan Hayden. Places are limited, though, so a booking is advisable: (07) 4163-0375
Australia Day Swimming Carnival - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy Swimming Pool will be closed all day today because it will be hosting the annual Kingaroy Swimming Carnival, but spectators are welcome to come along and watch if they wish. The meet starts at 8:30am and will conclude between 2:00pm and 4:00pm, depending on how many competitors who take part. The pool will be celebrating Australia Day tomorrow with a Family Fun Day and outdoor movie night (see entry that day for more details).
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Kings Royal Fan Appreciation Day
- The South Burnett Speedway Club will be holding a Fan Appreciation Day at the Cheers Triangle end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to 12:00 noon this morning as part of its 3-day Kings Royal race meeting (see entry further below). This free event will give speedway fans the opportunity to meet the drivers competing in this year's Kings Royal, get autographs and see their cars up close. There'll also be a jumping castle, giveaways, a sausage sizzle, Kings Royal merchandise on sale and more, plus a live broadcast by CROW-FM 90.7 between 9:00am and 11:00am.
South Burnett Speedway - Kingaroy
- The second day of the three-day Kings Royal, the biggest annual event on the South Burnett Speedway calendar, will be held at Kingaroy Showgrounds tonight. Racing will get underway at 5:00pm and this year more than 78 drivers - including 12 former national champions - have nominated. Tonight's program will feature the second round of the IBRP Kings Royal Modified Sedans, plus Junior Sedans. Admission is $25 for adults, $15 for students (with ID) and aged or disability pensioners and $65 for a family of two adults and up to three students (children 12 and under are free). Three day passes are also available at discounted rates, and there'll be canteen facilities operating onsite and camping available, too. The full event program can be downloaded here (1.3Mb PDF)
Australia Day Lunch - Kingaroy
- Kingsley Grove Estate winery at Stuart Valley Drive south-west of Kingaroy will be hosting an Australia Day Lunch with two sittings today: one from 11:00am to 1:45pm, and a second sitting from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. Each sitting will offer guests a cheese plate to start, followed by a selection of woodfired pizzas and salads (including a garlic prawn pizza) and rounded off with a dessert of pavlova, fresh cream and fruit. Tickets are $30 per head for adults and $10 per head for children aged 5-15. Bookings are essential, and you can make one by phoning Jo on 0414-230-128.
Australia Day At Murgon Pool
- Murgon's Jubilee swimming pool in Gore Street, Murgon will be celebrating Australia Day between 12:00 noon and 5:00pm with lots of fun swimming activities including water volleyball and Red Rocket blasts. Floaties are welcome, too, and the $5 admission covers all activities.
Australia Day At Kingas
- The Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Haly and Youngman Streets in Kingaroy will be celebrating Australia Day with a free sausage sizzle from 1:00pm, accompanied by live music from Tyson (1:00pm to 6:00pm) and followed by DJ Ty from 9:00pm until late. There'll also be blow-up pools on the hotel's front deck, so bring your swimmers if it's hot. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Australia Day At The Carrollee
- The Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy will be celebrating Australia Day with popular South Burnett duo Tucker & Chop performing all your favourite Aussie hits in the beer garden from 12:00 noon until late. There'll also be meat pie, Vegemite and Chiko Roll eating competitions during the afternoon, with prizes to be won. Everyone is welcome! More details from the pub on (07) 4163-6599
Australia Day At The Com.Pub
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be celebrating Australia Day with acoustic jams from 7:30pm, to 9:00pm this evening, followed by DJs iLLp, Direx and Schoolboy XP jamming it up until close. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Australia Day At The Royal
- The Royal Hotel at the corner of Lamb and Gore Streets, Murgon will be celebrating Australia Day with toad races, a pie eating competition and live music from Clowry Kennell. More details from the pub on (07) 4168-1799.
Australia Day Family Fun Day - Cloyna
- Murgon Lions Club, in conjunction with the Cloyna Rural Fire Brigade and Cloyna Hall Committee, are hosting a Family Fun Day from 3:00pm to 6:00pm at Cloyna Hall on Cloyna West Road. There’ll be games for all ages, including gumboot throwing, egg and spoon, potato sack and three-legged races. A sausage sizzle and cold drinks will be available, too.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Barambah Bowhunters - Nanango
- The Barambah Bowhunters and Field Archers Association will be hosting the first day of their two-day D Branch Interclub at their range off the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango, kicking off at 8:00am today. Spectators who enjoy watching archery competitions are welcome to attend.
Prawn On The Lawn At Dusty Hill
- SOLD OUT: Dusty Hill at Waterview Drive in Moffatdale will be celebrating Australia Day with Prawn On The Lawn from 4:00pm until midnight tonight. Dusty Hill close for picking and vintage every February, and Australia Day will be its last trading day until February 28. Prawn On The Lawn will feature fresh King Prawns from Stradbroke Island, live music from several bands and an all-you-can-eat buffet of King Prawns, sauces, Goomeri Bakery breads, canapes and sliders from 5:00pm to 8:00pm. Tickets - which include free overnight camping - are $84.40 per head and can be booked online through EventBrite
Saturday, 26 January 2019