On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Friday, 26 January 2018
- Today is Australia Day, a national public holiday. Australia Day marks the date in 1788 when Captain Arthur Philip raised the British flag at Port Jackson near the present-day site of Sydney and became Governor of the new British colony of New South Wales. Australia Day used to be called Foundation Day until the name was changed in 1946, but since then it's grown to become one of our key national celebrations. It's also traditionally the day when our nation hands out Australia Day Awards to outstanding citizens who've made significant contributions to the country and/or their communities. Here's your guide to what's happening around our region today:
Australia Day Breakfast - Nanango
- The South Burnett Regional Council, the Nanango Tourism and Development Association and the Nanango Show Society will be jointly hosting a gold coin donation Australia Day Community Breakfast at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 7:00am this morning. The breakfast will be followed by a flag raising ceremony and the presentation of Australia Day award winners from the Nanango area. There will also be bush poets, the traditional dog high jumps, a tug-o-war, and a great morning tea of damper and golden syrup at around 10:30am, followed by watermelon until noon. Coffee, tea and cold drinks will be available all morning and everyone is welcome!
Australia Day Breakfast - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Avocado Festival committee, the Blackbutt Benarkin Heritage and Tourism Association, Blackbutt Benarkin Aged Care and the Taromeo Rural Fire Brigade will be jointly hosting the Timbertowns' Australia Day celebrations at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road from 8:00am to around 11:00am this morning. Activities will kick off with a free sausage sizzle followed by a range of free family activities including a jumping castle, best dressed hat competition, gumboot tossing and rolling pin throwing and avocado rolling competitions, plus live music. Everyone is welcome!
Australia Day At Boondooma Homestead
- Historic Boondooma Homestead on the Durong-Mundubbera Road at Boondooma will be hosting an evening dinner and concert from 5:00pm today. Activities will kick off with a flag-raising ceremony followed by a BBQ dinner and live entertainment from Buddy Thomson, Lynne Bennett and others. A bus will be running from Murgon on the day (picking up at Wondai, Hivesville and Proston) but you'll need to pre-book a seat by phoning the Proston Country Bus Service on (07) 4168-9296, who'll advise you of the timetable.
Australia Day Breakfast - Wondai
- A free Australia Day Community Breakfast will be held at the Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 7:00am to 9:00am this morning. Apart from a great brekkie prepared by the Wondai Lions Club there'll also be live entertainment from the Wondai Town & District Band, an Australia Day Affirmation Ceremony and a Flag Raising Ceremony.
Australia Day Afternoon Tea - Proston
- The Proston Scout Club will be hosting a a free afternoon tea with tea, coffee, damper and lamingtons at the troop's den in Rodney Street, Proston from 2:30pm to around 4:00pm today. Cold drinks will be on sale, too, and there'll also be a family friendly cricket game as well as a sign on day for Scouts membership. Everyone is welcome.
Australia Day At The Dairy Museum - Murgon
- Murgon will be celebrating Australia Day with a community breakfast and family fun morning at the Queensland Dairy & Heritage Museum in Gesslers Road, Murgon. The BBQ breakfast will be held from 7:00am to 8:00am, and this will be followed by a recognition of Murgon's Australia Day Award winners at 8:30am, then by live musical entertainment, a Flag Raising Ceremony and a great morning tea to round things out. Everyone is welcome! More details? Contact the Museum on (07) 4169-5001. Note: In the event of wet weather this event will relocate to the PCYC in Macalister Street.
Australia Day Community Breakfast - Hivesville
- Hivesville will be celebrating Australia Day with a community BBQ breakfast at Anzac Park (opposite the Hivesville Hotel). The breakfast is being hosted by the Hivesville Progress Association and will get underway around 7:00am.
Australia Day Clean-Up And Pool Party - Yarraman
- Toowoomba Regional Council and the Yarraman Progress Association will be celebrating Australia Day with a clean up of the Errol Munt Reserve off the New England Highway in Yarraman from 7:00am to 11:00am this morning. After the cleanup there'll be a free BBQ lunch, followed by a pool party at the neighbouring Yarraman Swimming Pool between 1:00pm and 4:00pm, with snacks and drinks available from the pool's canteen. Everyone is welcome.
Australia Day Celebrations - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy's Australia's Day celebrations will be held at the Town Common Hall in Oliver Bond Street this morning, kicking off with a free community breakfast at 7:00am. This will be followed with a range of family fun activities including face painting and a jumping castle for children; bush poetry; and live music by Steve Hood on button accordion. At 9:00am, a Flag Raising Ceremony will be performed by the 125 Army Cadet unit, and this will be followed by performances from Sing Australia South Burnett and the Taabinga and Coolabunia State School Choirs. Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington will give an address which will be followed by a recognition of Australia Day Award winners from the Kingaroy area. The morning will round out with the traditional pie and lamington-eating competitions at 9:45am, followed by a raffle draw and cane toad races. Everyone is welcome!
Australia Day At Nanango RSL
- Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango will be celebrating Australia Day with a complimentary lunch time sausage sizzle. The club will also be holding a BBQ competition in the afternoon, and following that with a special $10 per head BBQ lamb dinner.
Australia Day At Ringsfield House - Nanango
- Historic Ringsfield House at 45 Alfred Street in Nanango will be hosting Australia Day celebrations between 10:30am and 2:30pm today, with food for all and lots of activities to entertain families. Children can get to enjoy face painting and a thong toss for between $3 and $10, while adults chow down on roast lamb and mint gravy rolls and BBQ snags. There'll also be a competition for the best dressed guest, plus a raffle which will be drawn at the end of the day. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Ringsfield on (07) 4163-3345.
Australia Day At The Carra - Kingaroy
- The Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy will be celebrating Australia Day from 12:00 noon onwards with food eating competitions (eg: chiko rolls, meat pies, vegemite) along with live entertainment by Tucker and Chop. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1055.
Australia Day At The Palace - Nanango
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be celebrating Australia Day with an Aussie BBQ sausage sizzle and live entertainment from popular South Burnett duo Misfitz in the hotel's revamped beer garden from 12:00 noon onwards. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Australia Day At Kingsley Grove
- Kingsley Grove Estate at 49 Stuart Valley Drive off the Bunya Highway west of Kingaroy will be marking Australia Day with a pizza and pavlova lunch from 12:00 noon onwards. For $28.50 per head, guests can get stuck into a salad and pizza of their choice matched to a glass of wine, followed by pavlova. Places are limited, though, so you'd be wise to book: (07) 4162-2229 or 0414-230-128
Australia Day At The Cricket Club - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Cricket Club in Youngman Street (right next to Beangrowers) will be celebrating Australia day from 11:00am onwards this morning in conjunction with the Kingaroy Red Ants rugby league club. There'll be Yabby races and auctions, an Aussie BBQ from noon to 2:00pm, live music with Tyson Clancy Jones from 1:00pm to 5:00pm and if you miss lunch, picnic cheese platters will be available all afternoon too. There'll also be a slip 'n' slide, a fun cricket match, Aussie games and promo giveaways on offer. Everyone is welcome and admission is free.
Australia Day At The Royal Hotel - Murgon
- The Royal Hotel at the corner of Gore and Lamb Streets in Murgon will be celebrating Australia Day with Aussie burgers, Aussie chicken schnitzel, lamb pie, banana fritters and pavlovas for lunch (noon to 2:00pm) and dinner (6:00-8:00pm), along with an Open Mic session with Clowry and friends from 1:00pm until late. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4168-1799.
Australia Day At The Wondai Hotel
- The Wondai Hotel in Haly Street, Wondai will be celebrating Australia Day with pig and lamb on the spit, pizza, coffee and sweets for lunch and dinner, along with the Crow-FM Australia Day Music Marathon and live entertainment by Deal'n from 3:30pm. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4168-5274.
Australia Day At The Warana - Wondai
- The Warana Hotel-Motel in Mackenzie Street, Wondai will be celebrating Australia Day with the grand opening of their new-look bistro. The hotel will be offering buckets of prawns on ice for $16, oysters, lamb on the spit for $12 and lots of other specials from 12:00 noon onwards. More details from the hotel on (07) 4168-5366.
Kings Royal - Kingaroy Speedway
- Tonight is Day 2 of the three-day Kings Royal speedway, the biggest annual event on the South Burnett Speedway calendar. Racing gets underway from 5:00pm each night and more than 170 drivers have nominated. Tonight's program will include Modified Sedans and Junior Sedans (heats and finals). Admission (per night) is Adults $25, Students (with ID) $15, Pensioners (Aged / Disability) $15, Children (12 & under) free and Family (two adults and up to three students) $65. The full event program can be downloaded here (4.4Mb PDF)
Tyson Clancy-Jones - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Friday, 26 January 2018