On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 25 March 2017
77th Annual Goomeri Show
- The 77th annual Goomeri Show will be held at the Goomeri Showgrounds on the Burnett Highway at Goomeri from early this morning until late tonight. This year's Show will feature stud and prime beef cattle competitions in the main ring, along with lots of equestrian events; pavillion entries across lots of categories; a bumper Championship Dog Show with more than 400 entries; an Iron Man challenge; a brand new hay baling competition; a Working Cowhorse in the evening thatís part of Sundayís Stockmanís Challenge; a Giant Fireworks display at 8:00pm; and sideshow alley. The Show Society's bar will be operating all day and into the evening and there'll be plenty of food stalls in the grounds, too. Admission to this year's Show is $12 for adults, $5 for children aged 13-18 and free for under-12s if accompanied by an adult. The Show will conclude tomorrow with an all-day Stockman's Challenge.
Fortunato Isgro - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer Fortunato Isgro will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm to 11:30pm this evening. Admission is free. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Jesus Christ Superstar - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Musical Comedy Society will be presenting their third performance of Jesus Christ Superstar, Time Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's classic 1970 rock opera about the last seven days of Jesus Christís life at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy at 7:00pm tonight (doors open at 6:30pm). The SBMCS's latest production features a wide range of well-known South Burnett performers including Damian Corkett as Jesus, Luke Green as Judas and Sue Dowideit-Reiger as Mary, and promises to be a knock-out. Tickets can be obtained in advance from Murgon News, Wondai News, Proston News, Robinsonís News in Kingaroy and online from TryBooking , but they'll also be available at the door tonight (if not already sold out) for $15. Note: One final matinee performance will be held at Kingaroy Town Hall at 2:00pm tomorrow (doors open at 1:30pm).
Power Up Car Show & Shine - Nanango
- The second annual Power Up Car Show & Shine And Swap Meet will be held at the Nanango Sporting Fields in Burnett Street, Nanango from 9:30am to around 4:00pm today. This gold coin donation entry family friendly event is a fundraiser for the Nanango Sporting Association, and pre-1984 vehicles are very welcome to take part. It will feature live entertainment, good food and coffee plus lots and lots of great vehicles to inspect, and there'll be trophies and prizes for the winners (trophies will be presented around 3:00pm). Family day vehicle and trade stall holder entrants need to pay $15 and be parked in the designated area by 9:00am to be ready for the gates opening to the public at 9:30am. You can obtain more details and/or entry forms by phoning Val on 0427-260-853 or (07) 4163-3513, or Lola on 0408-774-629 or send them and email.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The Wondai Kindergarten's BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts to early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Psychic Fair - Nanango
- The South Burnett Spiritualist Church will be holding a Psychic Fair at the QCWA Hall in Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 3:00pm today. Psychic readers will be attending from Brisbane, Toowoomba and Nanango and you can get a reading for $20 or a bit of healing for a gold coin donation. There'll also be stalls selling crystals, clothing and other knick-knacks, and refreshments will be available too. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone (07) 4162-1183
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Saturday Soccer - Wondai and Kingaroy
- The South Burnett's 2017 soccer season will start today, and matches will be held at Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy and the Wondai soccer grounds off the Bunya Highway north of the Wondai Sportsgrounds. In Kingaroy, home teams Gunners and Wests will battle each other, with 2nd Division hitting the park at 2:00pm, followed by Women's Division at 3:30pm and First Division at 5:00pm. And in Wondai, the Barambah Bears will play the Nanango Panthers, with 2nd Division kicking off at 12:30pm, Women's Division following on at 2:00pm and First Division rounding out the day at 3:15pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are always very welcome!
RSPCA Movie In The Park - Kingaroy
- RSPCA Kingaroy will be holding a Movie In The Park night at Memorial Park in Haly Street, Kingaroy from 6:00pm this evening as a fundraiser for their animal shelter. Tonight's movie will be "The Secret Life Of Pets" and there'll be a BBQ, popcorn, lolly bags and drinks available onsite. You'll need to BYO blanket or chairs, and admission is $10 for adults, $5 for children or $27 for a family of four. Everyone is welcome!
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Wednesday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding another of their popular monthly Pig On A Spit evenings from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment from a local performer (this month, Deal'n with Dean and Helen) and lots of cold beer, as well as more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy! There'll also be roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu tonight for those who prefer a non-pork option, and everyone is very welcome. More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Saturday Rugby League - Kingaroy
- An U18s rugby league match between South Burnett and Oakey will be held at T.J. O'Neill Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 11:30am this morning, and adults will be charged admission between 10:00am and noon to see it. This match will be followed by senior and junior trials for the 47th Battalion rugby league competition in Rockhampton from 1:00pm to around 5:00pm. A bar and canteen will be operating in the grounds, and spectators are very welcome.
Wondai ALP Branch Meeting
- The Wondai branch of the ALP will be holding a branch general meeting at the Cecil Hotel in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 11:00am this morning. All people who'd like to join or have an interest in the party are very welcome to attend.
Shane Christensen - Blackbutt
- Woodwork sculptor Shane Christensen will be carving wooden sculptures at Nukku Nook at the end of Hart Street, Blackbutt from 8:00am to 4:00pm today. Shane will also be providing tips about the methods he uses, and anyone with an interest in woodwork is very welcome to drop by and talk to him. Shane will also be at the same location on Saturday and Sunday. You can read more about his visit on our website
Tyson Clancy-Jones - Kingaroy
- Entertainer Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel at thge corner of Youngman and Haly Streets from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Saturday, 25 March 2017