On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 24 August 2019
- The first full day of the 2nd annual Kingaroy BaconFest will be held in and around Kingaroy today, kicking off with a community fun run and cycle rides along the South Burnett Rail Trail that will open for registrations at the Kingaroy entrance to the South Burnett Rail Trail at 7:00am. Meanwhile - in Glendon Street - there'll be markets from 10:00am along with live music and cooking demonstrations, bacon eating contests, a fashion parade (at 1:00pm), and children's entertainment that will run until 4:00pm. The Sunpork Smoke-Off BBQ competition will commence at 5:00pm, and there'll be more cooking demonstrations and bands until everything wraps up around 8:30pm. Meanwhile, the Kingaroy Cinema will be screening the Kevin Bacon movie 'Footloose' at its Short Street complex. BaconFest will conclude tomorrow with a ticketed Long Table Breakfast at 7:00am, and a second day of markets, cooking demonstrations and athletics events from 10:00am to 3:00pm before the BBQ cook-off winners are announced at 4:00pm. You can get the full program of events from BaconFest's website (PDF).
Australian Stock Horse Qld State Show - Nanango
- ASHS Inc is presenting the two-day 2019 Australian Stock Horse Qld State Show at Nanango Showgrounds this weekend. Events will get under way at 8:00am on Saturday and will include led, hack and dressage events. For more information contact Gillian on 0419-760-640 or Lorna on 0419-723-007.
Saturday Rugby League - Murgon
- Rugby league fans looking for action should head to the Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street, Murgon today. Games will get underway at 8:30am with an U12s Minor Semi-Final between Murgon and Wondai, followed at 9:30am by an U12s Major Semi between Kingaroy and Nanango. At 10:25am, an U14s Minor Semi will be played between Chinchilla and Wondai, and then an U14s Major Semi between Nanango and Murgon will be played at 11:40am. After this, an U16s match between Murgon and Toowoomba Souths will wrap up the day's junior games at 12:55pm, and all attention will turn to local A-grade matches. At 2:00pm, Kingaroy's Red Ants will play the Wondai Wolves in a Minor Semi-Final, and this will be followed at 3:45pm with the second A-grade match of the day between Murgon's Mustangs and Cherbourg's Hornets, who'll be playing a Major Semi-Final. A canteen will be operating at the grounds and since it's near the end of the season, spectators can expect to see some very lively, hard-fought rugby league action across all grades.
Back To Basics Music Muster - Proston
- A Back To Basics Music Muster will be held at 1385 Proston-Boondooma Road (west of Proston) from 6:00pm until late tonight as a fundraiser for RACQ LifeFlight. There'll be live bands, camp oven cooking and free overnight camping in the grounds if you'd like to stay over, but you'll need to BYO if you require refreshments. Tickets are just $20 and they can be purchased onsite. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Mike on 0412-884-482
Robert Early - Kingaroy
- Entertainer Robert Early will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning Joan Spicer on 0456-999-928.
Lloyd Back Live At The Palace - Nanango
- Multi award-winning country musician Lloyd Back will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm this evening. Lloyd recently released his 5th album "Everyone Has A Story" and he'll be performing tracks from it tonight, as well as favourites from his back catalogue and a few classic covers. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. More details? Phone Beau at the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Nanango Mini Market
- The Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month (except January) outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Nodrahma - Kingaroy
- Tyrone Drahm (aka Nodrahma) will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Haly and Youngman Streets in Kingaroy from 7:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Fred Brophy’s Boxing Troupe - Kilkivan
- The famous Fred Brophy’s Boxing Troupe will be holding boxing matches at the Kilkivan Hotel in Bligh Street, Kilkivan from 7:00pm until late tonight. Brophy's boxers will be giving exhibition matches, as well as challenging locals who'd like to test their skills in the ring. Admission fees apply and everyone is welcome.
Saturday Soccer - Wondai
- The Preliminary Finals of the South Burnett's local soccer competition will be played at the Wondai soccer fields north of the Wondai Sportsgrounds on the Bunya Highway this afternoon. Today's matches will see the Gunnettes play Barambah in the Women's Division at 1:00pm, and this will be followed by a clash between Wests and Gunners in the Men's Division at 3:00pm. The Preliminaries are the second-last match of the season, with the winners of today's matches going on to next week's Grand Finals in Nanango and the losers exiting the competition. As a result, both games are expected to be fiercely contested and spectators should enjoy a really great afternoon of football. A canteen will be running on site and there's no admission fee to watch the games.
NB Inspirations Garage Sale - Proston
- Proston's much-loved NB Inspirations department store in Blake Street, Proston is closing down after eight years of trading as the "Myers Of The West". They'll be holding a Garage Sale from 8:00am this morning to help clear out their remaining stock, and if you've ever fancied some of the great items they had on their shelves this is probably your last chance to grab a bargain before their doors close for keeps at a little past noon.
Stressbusters Morning Tea - Nanango
- Stressbusters Nanango will be holding a morning tea for ladies at the Uniting Church at 44 Gipps Street, Nanango, this morning, kicking off at 9:00am. All women are welcome and there's no fee to attend.
Saturday AFL - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints women's team will be playing Toowoomba at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) at 12:30pm this afternoon. A canteen will be operating in the grounds and spectators are very welcome.
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Saturday, 24 August 2019