On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 22 September 2018
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Butter Factory Park Casino Night - Nanango
- The Nanango Tourism & Development Association will be holding their 5th annual Casino Night at Taras Hall next to Nanango RSL in George Street, Nanango from 6:00pm until late this evening as fundraiser for a disability playground at Butter Factory Park (game play starts at 7:00pm). Guests at this gala event will get to enjoy a really great night out. Professional croupiers from Brisvegas will be offering blackjack, roulette, Texas hold'em poker and craps on casino-standard tables (along with help if you don't know how to play any particular game). There'll also be great live entertainment throughout the evening from the South Burnett's Arthur Nettelfield, and the entry fee includes $4,000 in funny money, a free drink (there'll be a licensed bar operating if you want more), delicious finger food and unlimited tea and coffee. There'll also be a valuable Lucky Door Prize up for grabs, and raffles. Tickets are $40 each and can be obtained at the door tonight.
Community Health Seminar - Blackbutt
- A breast and prostate cancer community health seminar will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 8:30am to 3:30pm today. The seminar is being organised by the Breast & Prostate Cancer Association of Queensland, and it will be a very informative day for all those interested in learning more or who are affected by breast or prostate cancer. Carers, family and friends are also encouraged to attend. The cost of the seminar is $15, which includes morning tea and lunch. More details? Bookings? Phone Tracey on (07) 3666-0614 or email Laraine.
South Burnett Speedway - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Speedway Club will be holding their first meeting of the new racing year at their track inside the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy this afternoon and evening. The meeting will feature Modified Sedans, Production Sedans, Street Stocks, Junior Sedans, National 4s, Lightning Sprints and Modlites. Admission is $25 for adults and $15 for concessions and students. Under 12s can get in for free if accompanied by an adult and food and drinks will be available in the grounds. Gates will open at 2:00pm, with racing getting underway around 5:00pm. You can find out more on the Speedway's website.
SR Automotive Manumbar Rally - Nanango and Manumbar
- The fourth round of the Queensland Rally Championship - the SR Automotive Manumbar Rally - will be held in and around the forestry areas of Nanango and Manumbar today. Drivers will depart from Fred Kassulke Oval south of Nanango's CBD at 9:00am for the first two stages east of the town, then return for a service and refuelling, then tackle another three sections before a second refuelling at the Manumbar Campdraft Grounds. After this they'll do four more stages before concluding at the campdrafting grounds. There's plenty of spots along the courses for spectators and free camping at Manumbar, along with toilets and showers, and there'll be breakfast, lunch and dinner available at Manumbar too, along with a Sunday brekkie. Everyone is welcome.
Wondai Spring Garden Expo
- The first day of the weekend long Wondai Spring Garden Expo will be held at the Wondai Sports Grounds off the Bunya Highway just north of Wondai's CBD from 8:00am this morning through until 4:30pm this afternoon. The Expo is one of the largest gardening shows of its type in south-east Queensland, and it always draws hundreds of keen gardeners to Wondai every September. As well as the usual huge range of plant and garden-related product displays, the Expo will also feature a number of interesting and well-informed guest speakers talking on a variety of gardening topics throughout the day. Guests can also get to enjoy a Flower Show and live music. There'll be plenty of food and drink outlets dotted around the grounds, too. Admission is a slim $5 per day (young people under 15 can get in for free) and you can get more details and/or book a stand of your own on the Garden Expo's website or by phoning Helen on (07) 4168-9297.
Drought Aid Sausage Sizzle
- East Nanango Rural Fire Brigade will be holding a sausage sizzle outside Nanango's IGA supermarket in Fitzroy Street from 8:00am this morning to raise funds for drought relief.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Youth Concert With Iron & Clay - Kingaroy
- South Burnett Ministries at 4 Ivins Street in Kingaroy will be hosting a free youth concert tonight with faith-based band Iron & Clay, who address topics such as self-awareness, social acceptance, education values, bullying, anxiety, and depression through the performing arts and interaction. The concert will begin at 7:00pm and all young people are welcome to attend.
2018 Under 12's Mustangs Challenge - Murgon
- Murgon Junior Rugby League will be hosting the 2018 Under 12's Mustangs Challenge for boys and girls at the Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street, Murgon all this weekend. The competition will kick off at 8:00am this morning and conclude with a Grands Final and presentations tomorrow at 2:40pm. Spectators are very welcome, and you can read more about this 25-year-old carnival on our website.
Saturday Golf - Wondai
- The Wondai Golf Club off the Bunya Highway north of Wondai's CBD will be holding their annual Elgar Harrison Memorial Open Day with a 10:00am shotgun start. Green fees are $20 - which includes a BBQ lunch - and $2 per player will be donated to Relay for Life. Names should be phoned in to Brod on (07) 4168-5126.
Men's Saturday Bowls - Yarraman
- The Yarraman Bowls Club in Margaret Street, Yarraman will be holding their weekly Men's Lawn Bowls games from 9:30am this morning. New players are always welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-8269.
Cent Auction - Goomeri
- Goomeri SES will be holding a Cent Auction at Goomeri's Hall of Memory on the Wide Bay Highway north of the CBD this afternoon as a fundraiser to purchase equipment. Doors will open at 1:00pm and admission is $5 for adults (U12s are free), and tea and light refreshments will be served throughout the afternoon. Auction tickets will be sold separately. More details? Phone Phyllis on (07) 4168-4385 or Steve on 0437-972-262.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Creedence Clearwater Revival Tribute Show - Kingaroy
- The Comnmercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be hosting the Creedence Clearwater Revival Tribute Show from 6:00pm to 11:30pm tonight. Creedence topped the charts in the 1970s with a string of hits that have gone on to become classics, and tonight's show faithfully recreates the band's unique sound. Tickets are $50 for dinner and the show, or $20 for the show only, and numbers are limited. Tickets can be purchased over the bar or by phoning the Com.Pub on (07) 4162-1380.
- The Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish, plus a free jumping castle and fairy floss to keep children amused. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Saturday, 22 September 2018