On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 22 July 2017
Dinner With The Captains - Kingaroy
- The 2017 Dinner With The Captains - a major annual fundraiser for the South Burnett's Relay For Life effort - will be held at Kingaroy Town Hall from 5:30pm this evening. This year's dinner has been sponsored by the Tarong Power Stations, Stanwell Corporation, Downer EDI, TAFE South West and the Telstra Store Kingaroy, and this year's special guests will be Australian sporting legends Andrew Slack, Joyce Lester and Greg Ritchie. There'll also be an auction of great sporting memorabilia during the evening, along with a big silent auction. Tickets for this licensed semi-formal event - which includes a gourmet three-course dinner - are $90 per head or $90 per table of 10. They can be booked by phoning 4169-0700. A free courtesy bus will also be running from Murgon.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The Wondai Kindergarten's BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts to early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Christmas In July - Kumbia
- A great Christmas In July dinner will be held at the Kumbia Memorial Hall in Bell Street, Kumbia from 6:30pm (for a 7:00pm start) tonight. The event is a fundraiser for the Kumbia Tennis Association to help resurface the Kumbia courts and will feature a great two course meal, live entertainment, raffles and a licenced bar (no BYO). Everyone is welcome and tickets are $25 for adults or $10 for primary school children (under 5s are free). However - to help plan the catering - RSVPs by July 18 are required. More details? Phone Celina on (07) 4164-4010 or Judy on 0429-899-538.
Chris Cook Band - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainers The Chris Cook Band will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Saturday Soccer - Nanango and Kingaroy
- The South Burnett's 2017 soccer season will hold its 13th round in Nanango and Kingaroy today (not Wondai and Kingaroy as originally scheduled). In Nanango, home team Panthers will play Barambah at the Burnett Street Soccer Fields, with 1st Division hitting the park at 12:30pm, Women's Division at 2:00pm and 2nd Division at 3:15pm. And in Kingaroy, Gunners will play Wests at Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with 2nd Division kicking off the day at 2:00pm and 1st Division playing under lights at 5:00pm (the Women's Division game has been deferred). Admission to view the matches is free, and a canteen will be running at both venues. Spectators are very welcome!
Thorps Jewellers Open Day - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway south-west of Kingaroy will be holding their annual Thorps Jewellers Open Day from 11:00am this morning. This is a Mixed 4BBB Stableford (or a Single Stableford for members without partners) and time sheets are available at the club. More details? Phone (07) 4162-1720.
Johnny Cash Tribute Show - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy will be hosting the Johnny Cash Tribute Show from 8:00pm to around 10:30pm tonight. The show features two and a half hours of Johnny Cash favourites and tickets ($20) will be available at the door. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Youth Mural Workshop - Murgon
- A free Youth Mural art workshop for young people aged 13 to 17 will be held at the South Burnett PCYC at 40 Macalister Street in Murgon from 10:00am to 3:00pm today. Artist Bronte Naylor is painting a large scale mural at the PCYC and Barambah youth are very welcome to come help her - but to ensure there's enough materials, an RSVP is necessary: 0432-556-830.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Kumbia Pop-Up Library
- The Kumbia QCWA Rooms in Bell Street, Kumbia will become a pop up library, craft and cuppa stop from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. The QCWA Rooms will have cold drinks, hot drinks and a freshly baked morning tea on offer combined with hundreds of books, DVDs, CDs and magazines, and everyone is welcome along to browse and socialise. The pop up library occurs every 2nd and 4th Saturday.
At The Wineries
- Three of the South Burnett's wineries will be open for lunch today. At Moffatdale, Moffatdale Ridge will have their cellar door verandah cafe open for light meals and snacks from 10:00am to 4:00pm. And in Kingaroy, Cranes Winery and Kingsley Grove will be open the same hours, serving up wines and platters (at Cranes) and wines, cheese platters and wood-fired pizzas (at Kingsley Grove). You can find out more about all three wineries (including location maps and phone numbers) on South Burnett Wine.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Putting The Screws On Crime - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy Police are inviting local residents to bring along their vehicles to the area beside Kingaroy Repco in Youngman Street between 9:00am and noon this morning to have one-way screws fitted to their number plates. The screws make it very difficult for thieves to steal the plates, and are a local crime prevention initiative. The service is free, but a small donation to support the QPS Community Supporting Police Helping Hand program will get you a raffle ticket to be in the draw for a prize pack generously donated by Kingaroy Repco.
Australian Rules - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints, currently in second spot on the Darling Downs AFL ladder, will take on the number one team, University Cougars in a top-of-the table clash at Lyle Vidler Oval in Kingaroy this afternoon. The game is scheduled to start at 3:30pm and spectators are welcome. A bar will be running in the Cricket Club clubhouse.
Rugby League - Wondai and Murgon
- Junior and Senior Rugby league games in the South Burnett will be played at Wondai and Murgon today. Wondai Wolves will take on the Cherbourg Hornets in all grades at Wondai Sportsground with the A Grade match at 3:00pm. The Murgon Mustangs will face the Kingaroy Red Ants in all grades at Murgon Showground, with the A Grade game at 3:00pm.
Saturday, 22 July 2017