On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 21 April 2018
Wondai Autumn Garden Expo
- The first day of the weekend long Wondai Autumn Garden Expo will be held at the Wondai Sports Grounds off the Bunya Highway just north of Wondai's CBD from 8:00am this morning through until 4:30pm this afternoon. The Expo is one of the largest gardening shows of its type in south-east Queensland, and it always draws hundreds of keen gardeners to Wondai every April. This year (for the ninth year running) it's being held in conjunction with the South Burnett Orchid Society's Annual Show, which will be staged at the nearby Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 9:30am to 3:00pm; and the Wondai Art Gallery are also running a special exhibition on a floral theme too - so make sure you check out all three venues! As well as the usual huge range of plant and garden-related product displays, the Expo will also feature a number of interesting and well-informed guest speakers talking on a variety of gardening topics throughout the day. Guests can also get to enjoy a Flower Show and live music. There'll also be plenty of food and drink outlets dotted around the grounds too. Admission is a slim $5 per day (young people under 15 can get in for free) and you can get more details and/or book a stand of your own on the Garden Expo's website or by phoning Helen on (07) 4168-9297.
- The second day of the three day 2018 Manumbar Campdraft will be held at the Manumbar Campdraft Grounds, kicking off around 6:30am this morning and continuing until dusk. This year's campdraft will feature a Maiden, Novice, Junior, Juvenile, Restricted Open and Open Drafts, as well as pony club events for children. There's free on-site camping and tonight there'll be a pig-on-a-spit dinner and live entertainment by Rowie from Murgon as well. Admission to the campdraft is 100% free for spectators and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Sheryl on (07) 4168-8107, message the Manumbar Campdraft's Facebook page or send her an email.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
- The third Saturday of the month Kingaroy Markets will be held at the Cheers Triangle end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 12:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and feature a great array of arts, crafts, fruit and flower stalls. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Patrick on 0419-648-754.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
South Burnett Speedway - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Speedway Club will be holding a meeting at their track inside the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy this afternoon and evening. The focus of today's meeting will be the 2018 National Championship for compact speedcars and the 2018 Queensland Title for production sedans, but there'll also be Street Stocks too. Admission is $25 for adults and $15 for concessions and students. Under 12s can get in for free if accompanied by an adult and food and drinks will be available in the grounds. Gates will open at 2:00pm, with racing getting underway at 4:00pm. You can find out more on the Speedway's website.
Fortunato - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer Fortunato Isgro will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
South Burnett Orchid Society Annual Show - Wondai
- The South Burnett Orchid Society will be holding their annual show at the Wondai RSL's club rooms in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 9:30am to about 2:45pm today. The event will feature magnificent displays of orchids, foliage, floral art and photos. There'll also be plants and orchid supplies on sale, along with raffles and a Lucky Door prize. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Linda on 0467-591-954
Trivia Night - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Girl Guides will be holding a Disney/Pixar themed Trivia Night at their Girl Guides Hut at 2 Mant Street, Kingaroy from 5:00pm tonight, with a short break a little later for a sausage sizzle dinner. Play will take the form of tables of six adults and children at $50 per table. More details? Bookings? Phone 0429-364-453 or 0429-623-871.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
4th Annual Show & Shine Swap Meet - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Lions will be holding their 4th annual Show & Shine Swap Meet at the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road from 6:00am onwards today. There will be Show and Shine categories for retro cars and vans, custom cars, bikes, trucks and many more, along with food and drink stands and market stalls. Car sites are just $10, swap sites $20, and the general public can get through the gates for a gold coin donation.
Saturday Soccer - Nanango and Wondai
- After an epic 4-week break for Easter and school holidays, the South Burnett's 2018 soccer competition will get back into gear today with the third round of the local derby. In Wondai, Barambah will host Wests at the Wondai Soccer Fields at the northern end of the Wondai Sportsgrounds. Both sides women's teams will hit the park at 1:00pm, and they'll be followed by the men's teams at 3:00pm. And in Nanango, Gunners will take on their arch rivals Nanango Panthers at the Burnett Street sports fields, with the women's teams kicking things off at 1:00pm followed by the men's teams at 3:00pm. A canteen will be operating at both venues and spectators are very welcome. Meanwhile, the first round of this year's junior football competition will get underway at the Burnett Street sports fields in Nanango at 8:00am.
Risa - Kingaroy
- Risa (Rob and Clare from Misfitz, plus Tucker and Chop) will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Saturday AFL - Kingaroy
- The 2018 AFL season will get underway today, and fans should head to Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) for a full-on day of Aussie rules footy. The South Burnett Saints men's team will be playing Coolaroo, but a women's division match that was originally planned for today has had to be cancelled after Coolaroo were unable to put their own women's side together. Spectators and supporters are very welcome, and a bar and canteen will be running all day, too.
Natalie Fenton - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett entertainer Natalie Fenton - who is also a keen AFL supporter - will be performing at the Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1055.
Saturday Rugby League - Kingaroy, Murgon and Cherbourg
- The Kingaroy Red Ants will be holding their 5th annual Pink Day at T. J. O'Neill Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy today to help raise funds for breast cancer research. Apart from a jam-packed day of junior and senior league where all players will wear pink jerseys, there'll also be a jumping castle for children, fairy floss and cupcakes in addition to the canteen. The Red Ants will be playing the Nanango Stags, with U6s and U8s hitting the field at 8:00am; U10s at 9:00am; and U12s at 10:15am. At 11:30am, the South Burnett U16s women's side will play a South Burnett open women's side, then the U14s will play the Stags at 12:30pm, followed by the U16s at 1:30pm and U18s at 2:45pm. The A-grade game between the Red Ants and Stags will be played at 4:00pm. Meanwhile in Murgon, the Murgon Mustangs will be playing the Wondai Wolves at the Murgon Sportsgrounds in Macalister Street from 9:30am when the U6s take to the field, followed by the U8s, U10s and U12s. The Wolves will play Chinchilla in the U14s and U16s games, before an A-grade match between the Wolves and Cherbourg's Hornets at 2:00pm. And in Cherbourg, the Hornets will play host to the Central Burnett Brumbies at Jack O'Chin Oval, with matches getting underway at 10:00am.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Camp Oven Comedy Night - Monogorilby
- A Camp Oven Comedy Night will be held at Monogorilby Hall in Monogorilby from noon onwards. There'll be a pig-on-a-spit with roast vegies (roast beef is also available) plus lots of rib-tickling comedy, and tickets are $35 for adults or $15 for youngsters aged 6 to 15. More details? Phone Sheryl on (07) 4165-8121.
Luke & Dean - Kingaroy
- Luke & Dean (Luke Metcalf and Dean Fleischfresser) will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Haly and Youngman Streets from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Pop-Up Motorcycle Ride - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Junior Motorcycle Club will be holding a pop up ride from 1:30pm this afternoon on their track at Edenvale behind Kingaroy Airport (riding starts at 2:00pm). Fees will apply and Motorcycle Queensland licences are required.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Saturday, 21 April 2018