On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 19 August 2017
The Wizard Of Oz - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Musical Comedy Society will be presenting their second and third performances of the much-loved musical comedy The Wizard Of Oz at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy at 2:00pm this afternoon, and again at 7:00pm this evening. The SBMCS will be presenting several things never seen in the South Burnett before during this jam-packed production and tickets - which will be available at the door - are $20 for adults, $18 for concession card holders, and $15 for young people aged 5-17 (under 5s are free). Note: Four additional performances of this production will be held on August 20, 25 and 26.
Kingaroy QCWA Girls Craft Club
- The Kingaroy QCWA Girls Craft Club will be holding its third Saturday of the month meeting at the Kingaroy QCWA Rooms at 122 Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy from 1:00pm to 4:00pm this afternoon. The club - which is for young girls aged 10 and above - teaches basic life skills like sewing, embroidery, healthy cooking and catering. The cost is $2 a day plus a small charge for materials used, and all young girls and teens are very welcome. More details? Phone Marilyn on (07) 4162-2697 or Lois on (07) 4162-3824.
Scots In The Bush - Boondooma
- The third day of this year's four-day Scots In The Bush Scottish and Celtic Festival will be held at Boondooma Homestead at 8262 Mundubbera-Durong Road at Boondooma today. The Festival features Scottish pipe bands and dancers, folk singers and poets as well as Scottish food, games and more; and special guests this year include the Ceilidh Band, Celtic Psychosis, Velcro, the Leaping Lizards, the Noosa Pipe Band, Darryl Craft, the Rum City Highland Dancers and many others. A licensed bar will be running throughout the event and meals will be available too, as well as on-site camping and Highland games. Tickets for the full four days are $65 per head for adults (which includes a bush camping site) but you can just but a day ticket if you prefer (children under 14 are free). Today the Festival will be showcasing Scottish music and dancing. There'll also be Scottish foods, stalls and more running all day and into the night, along with a bush canteen and bar. More details? Phone Buddy or Lynne on (07) 4168-0168 or the Caretaker on (07) 4168-0159. You can also see photos and read more about what last year's Scots In The Bush Festival was like on our website.
South Burnett Shed Men - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Shed Men will be holding their 53rd meeting at Steve Hood's shed at 313 Barkers Creek Road in Kingaroy from 4:00pm to around 7:00pm this evening (follow Haly Street past Swickers and turn left at the second driveway). Steve is an amazing engineer and will have a steam engine and other antique machinery that he's restored on display. Graham Leishman, the chairman of an international company that carries 100 million bus passengers a year, will be the meeting's special guest speaker and all men and young blokes are very welcome along. The $15 meeting fee includes a BBQ dinner and dessert, tea/coffee and soft drinks, but under-15s can come along for free. However - to help plan the catering - an RSVP by August 14 would be greatly appreciated. More details? Phone Nev on (07) 4162-2009, Lester on (07) 4162-1833 or Don on (07) 4162-7130.
Rugby League - Cherbourg and Wondai
- The last round of games ahead of the finals are being played. At Cherbourg, the Cherbourg Hornets will take on the Kingaroy Red Ants at 2:30pm. At Wondai, the Wondai Wolves will play the Nanango Stags at 2:30pm.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Maidenwell Bush Dance
- Here's something different! The Tanduringie State School P&C will be holding their 10th annual, dinki-di Bush Dance at Maidenwell Hall from 6:30pm to around 10:30pm this evening as a fundraiser. Well-known bush band Ridgi Didge will be providing the music, a licensed bar will be operating and guests are invited to bring along a plate of food for an old-fashioned shared community supper. This dance is always a great family night out and tickets - which will be available at the door - are still only $10 for adults, $5 for children or $25 for a family. Everyone is welcome! PS: You can read more about what 2015's bush dance was like - and see photos - on our website.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Blackbutt Tennis Club Come and Try Day
- The Blackbutt Tennis Club in Hart Street, Blackbutt (just up the road from the Radnor Hotel) will be holding a free Come & Try programme for beginners and those who wish to refresh their tennis skills from 9:30am to 11:30am this morning. Today is the second day of a 6-session program that will run at the courts on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Tennis racquets and balls will be available, and everyone is welcome along. More details? Phone Noeleen on 0458-539-821 or send her an email.
Ladies Night Out - Kingaroy
- In conjunction with the South Burnett Shed Men (see entry elsewhere this page), Glenice Larsen will be holding a Ladies Night Out at 19 Avocado Crescent in Kingaroy from 4:00pm to 7:00pm tonight. The meeting is open to all women and girls, and Jan Leishman will be the special guest speaker. Guests should bring along a plate of finger food to share and an RSVP by August 14 would be appreciated to ensure there's sufficient seating. You can make one by phoning Glenice on (07) 4162-7130.
Friendship Markets - Kingaroy
- The third Saturday of the month Friendship Markets will be held at the Cheers Triangle end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 12:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and they feature a great array of arts, crafts, fruit and flower stalls. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Patrick on 0419-648-754.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Misfitz - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett entertainers Misfitz will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Saturday Soccer - Kingaroy
- After a week's break for the Ekka long weekend, the South Burnett's 2017 soccer season will be moving into its four-week finals season today, kicking off with the Minor Semi Finals between the bottom two teams in each of the competition's four divisions. Today's matches will be played at Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy, kicking off with the 2nd Division clash between Gunners and Nanango at 2:00pm. This will be followed by a Women's Division match between Gunnettes and Wests at 4:00pm, and then the 1st Division game between Wests and Barambah under lights at 6:00pm. The losers of today's matches will be wrapping up their season (it's a knock-out minor semi) while the winners will go on to play in the Preliminary Finals match in a fortnight. So spectators can expect to see some top, hard-fought matches today. A canteen will be running on the grounds and everyone is welcome!
Tabletop Gaming - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Tabletop Gamers Club will be playing "Numenera: Escape From The Jade Colossus" at the Kingaroy Tenpin Bowling Alley on the Bunya Highway, Kingaroy from 2:00pm this afternoon. Drinks and food will be available from the bowling alley's cafe, and new players are very welcome.
At The Wineries
- Three of the South Burnett's wineries will be open for lunch today. At Moffatdale, Moffatdale Ridge will have their cellar door verandah cafe open for light meals and snacks from 10:00am to 4:00pm. And in Kingaroy, Cranes Winery and Kingsley Grove will be open the same hours, serving up wines and platters (at Cranes) and wines, cheese platters and wood-fired pizzas (at Kingsley Grove). You can find out more about all three wineries (including location maps and phone numbers) on South Burnett Wine.
RSPCA Cupcake Day - Kingaroy
- The RSPCA will be selling cupcakes at Kingaroy Shoppingworld between 9:30am and 1:00pm today as a fundraiser for the region's RSPCA shelter. All cupcakes have been baked and donated by well-known South Burnett chef Karen Ford, and EFTPOS facilities will be available.
Heritage Trail Walk - Proston
- Proston will be hosting a Heritage Trail Walk around the town centre at 2:00pm this afternoon. Guests will get to learn the fascinating history of the CBD's buildings and some of the equally fascinating characters who built them or lived in them. If you'd like to talk the walk, meet up with other walkers at Railway Park in Rodney Street, just next to the Community Centre.
Line Dancing Classes - Blackbutt
- Line dancing classes will be held at the Blackbutt Lions Den on the northern boundary of the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road from 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. The first hour is for beginners, the second for more advanced dancers, but everyone is welcome to stay for both. Class fees are $5 and classes are held on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. More details? Phone Chrissie on 0418-199-080.
Proston Post Rip & Family Day
- The Golden Spurs Hotel in Blake Street, Proston will be holding a Post Rip & Family Day from 10:00am today. There'll be music throughout the day and night, a jumping castle for the kids, and post ripping challenges. Lunch will be a $2 sausage sizzle or a $5 steak sanger, and a $15 pig on a spit dinner will be available from 5:30pm. Everyone is welcome and you can obtain more details by phoning the Golden Spurs on (07) 4168-9272.
Saturday, 19 August 2017