On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 18 August 2018
RACQ LifeFlight Community Fun Day - Kingaroy
- The second annual RACQ LifeFlight Community Fun Day will be held at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street from 9:00am to around 5:00pm today as a fundraiser for LifeFlight. Activities will kick off with a Teddy Bears Picnic for children, followed at 10:00am with the official opening and then a LifeLine Recipients Walk, where people who’ve benefitted from the rescue service can take part to say thanks. After this, those with an athletic bent can take part in the Bill Hull Top Gun Challenge, tackling an obstacle course, a two-person Mazda BT50 ute pull and a team tug-o-war. Kingaroy's Friendship Markets will be running in the grounds all day, and there'll be a $5 Show & Shine, too. Children can have fun with face painting, fairy floss, jumping castles and merry-go-rounds, while adults can have a go at dunking local VIPs at $5 for three throws. There’ll also be displays by St John’s Lutheran School’s whipcracking team, Ally Walker Dance Academy and Kingaroy Dance Academy, along with the Lions and Rotary Clubs and the QCWA and after lunch, popular local duo Risa will be taking to the stage to round out the day. At 3:00pm, a bar and barbecue will open and the day’s prizes will be presented before things wind down at 5:00pm. Everyone is welcome - particularly families - and admission is free.
Vietnam Veterans Day - Blackbutt, Nanango and Kingaroy
- Today is Vietnam Veterans Day, which was formerly known as Long Tan Day in memory of the 18 Australians killed at the battle of Long Tan on the 18th August 1966. Vietnam Veterans Day has come to symbolise our nation's collective memory of the Vietnam War and in the South Burnett, special services are conducted every year to mark it. In Blackbutt, the president and members of the Blackbutt RSL Sub-Branch will be holding a service to commemorate the 52nd anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan at the RSL Memorial in Muir Street at 11:00am sharp; in Nanango, the Nanango RSL will be holding a commemoration service at the George Street War Memorial at 10:00am; and in Kingaroy, the South Burnett branch of the Vietnam Veterans Association will be holding a commemoration service in the Kingaroy RSL carpark at 10:30am with guest speaker Eric Law AM, a Wakka Wakka Elder and
himself a Vietnam Veteran. This service is not only for veterans - everyone is welcome to attend. More details? Phone Barry on 0481-121-637. You can also find out more about the Vietnam Veterans Association - which looks after the needs of Vietnam vets and helps promote VV Day - on their web site.
Scots In The Bush - Boondooma
- The third day of this year's four-day Scots In The Bush Scottish and Celtic Festival will be held at Boondooma Homestead at 8262 Mundubbera-Durong Road at Boondooma today. The Festival features Scottish pipe bands and dancers, folk singers and poets as well as Scottish food, games and more; and special guests this year include the Ceilidh Band, Celtic Psychosis, Velcro, the Leaping Lizards, the Noosa Pipe Band, Darryl Craft, the Rum City Highland Dancers and many others. A licensed bar will be running throughout the event and meals will be available too, as well as on-site camping and Highland games. Tickets for the full four days are $70 per head for adults (which includes a bush camping site) but you can just but a day ticket if you prefer (children under 14 are free). Today the Festival will be showcasing Scottish music and dancing. There'll also be Scottish foods, stalls and more running all day and into the night, along with a bush canteen and bar. More details? Phone Buddy or Lynne on (07) 4168-0168 or the Caretaker on (07) 4168-0159. You can also see photos and read more about what 2016's Scots In The Bush Festival was like on our website.
South Burnett Trophy Presentation Night - Murgon
- South Burnett Rugby League will be holding their annual Trophy Presentation Night at the South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon from 6:00pm until late tonight. All players from U10/U35kg, U12/U43kg, U13s, U14s, U16s, U18s, U20s, Open Womens, A Grade, and all clubs and referees, parents, carers and footy fans are invited to attend (all these players have paid for their dinner ticket through their rep fees). All other tickets - at $40 for adults and $20 for children - can be obtained from the SBRL office at 17/119 Youngman Street in Kingaroy or by phoning Lisa on 0427-272-871.
Mr Q - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett band Mr Q will be performing at Kingaroy's Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets from 8:30pm until around 12:30am tonight. Mr Q will perform classic rock hits by the Screaming Jets, ZZ Top, AC/DC, CCR, Men at Work, Greenday and many more, and meals will be available in the new look beer garden from 5:30pm. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
- The third Saturday of the month Kingaroy Markets will be held at the Cheers Triangle end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 5:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and feature a great array of arts, crafts, fruit and flower stalls. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Patrick on 0419-648-754. Note: Today's markets will be running all day rather than winding up at noon to support the RACQ LifeFlight Community Fun Day (see entry elsewhere this page)
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Men's Saturday Bowls - Yarraman
- The Yarraman Bowls Club in Margaret Street, Yarraman will be holding their weekly Men's Lawn Bowls games from 9:30am this morning. New players are always welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-8269.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday get-together today, kicking off with a cuppa around 9:00am and running until noon. New members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Chicken Schnitzel Night - Maidenwell
- The Maidenwell Hotel will be holding a chicken schnitzel night this evening to unveil a range of new toppings, along with live music from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4164-6133.
Ivyhome Organic Dairy Clearing Sale - Haly Creek
- A clearing sale will be held at the former Ivyhome Organic Dairy at 1243 Haly Cree Road, Haly Creek at 10:00am this morning. The property has been sold and a clearing sale of machinery and chattels will be on offer using an ID bid card system. All details can be found on the auctioneer's website. More details? Phone Bill Steffensen on 0429-645-545.
Variety Concert - Booie
- A Variety Concert will be held at Booie Hall at 1867 Booie Road, Booie from 3:00pm until late tonight. Guest artists include Dean Perrett, Natalie Fenton and Bruce Webb along with walk-ups. There'll be a baked afternoon tea and free camping onsite. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for high school students and everyone is welcome.
Celebration Shoot - Nanango
- The Barambah Bowhunters and Field Archers Association will be holding the first day of their weekend-long Celebration Shoot at their archery range off the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango's CBD from 1:00pm this afternoon, when things will kick off with a bow check and muster. Up to 80 archers from all over Queensland are expected to compete in this weekend's competition, which will feature a range of traditional and modern bow events. Spectators are very welcome to watch from the clubhouse, and food and free camping are available onsite.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Saturday Soccer - Kingaroy
- After 15 weeks of hard-fought competition, South Burnett football will be entering the three-week finals season this weekend with the minor and major semi-finals being played at Kingaroy's Tom Alford Oval at the end of Oliver Bond Street. In the minor semis, Wests will play the Gunnettes at noon, and they'll be followed by Barambah and Nanango's men's teams at 2:00pm. After this, Nanango's women will play Barambah in the major semi-finals at 4:00pm, followed by Gunners and Wests' men's sides at 6:00pm. The winners of the minor semis will go on to play the losers of the major semis next Saturday in the preliminary finals, while the winners of the major semis will go straight through to the Grand Final on September 1. A canteen will be operating in the grounds and spectators are very welcome.
Killy Utes & Boots - Kilkivan
- The Killy Utes And Boots festival will be held at Kilkivan Showgrounds from early this morning until late tonight. The festival features dirt races, tinnie races, spud races, a gully run, a tug-o-war, a mud run, blowup cars and a kids sandpit, along with live music in the evening and a big bonfire. There'll be free camping in the grounds, a licensed bar, coffee and food, and an onsite ATM if you run short of cash. Spectators should BYO seating but there's no BYO alcohol in the day events area. Tickets are $60 for competitors or $15 for adult spectators (under-15s are free), and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone 0427-066-529 or 0409-279-529.
Golden Spurs Post Rip - Proston
- The Golden Spurs Hotel in Blake Street, Proston will be holding its annual Post Rip this afternoon, with competitors from all over Queensland vying for honours in a range of post-ripping events. The action will take place in an enclosed area at the rear of the hotel and spectators are very welcome to watch from nearby grandstand seating. There'll also be meals and live music on site, and admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4168-9272.
FYG Chutney - Nanango
- Funky Sunshine Coast jazz and blues band FYG Chutney will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm to around 11:30pm tonight. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. More details? Phone the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
P3 Solutions Car Rally - Benarkin
- The P3 Solutions Car Rally will be running from the Benarkin State School around the Benarkin Forestry
today as a school fundraiser, with drivers putting their pedals to the metal at 10:00am. Observation posts for spectators will be set up around the course, and there'll be food and drink available all day courtesy of Blackbutt IGA. Tonight, the event will conclude with a licensed bar and live entertainment. Admission is free and everyone is welcome.
Maidenwell Street Library Launch
- The Maidenwell Community Group will be launching the South Burnett's first-ever Street Library outside the Maidenwell Trading Post from 11:00am onwards this morning. As part of the launch, the winners of the ‘Find Your Treasure’ design competition will be announced and their designs unveiled at the street library. The launch will be followed by a community sausage sizzle. All students (including parents/caregivers!) are invited to dress up as a character from their favourite book and/or bring along a pre-loved book (or books) to donate to the library.
Rock & Roll Country - Kingaroy
- Entertainers Rock & Roll Country will be performing live at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Saturday, 18 August 2018