On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Thursday, 17 August 2017
Scots In The Bush - Boondooma
- The first day of this year's four-day Scots In The Bush Scottish and Celtic Festival will be held at Boondooma Homestead at 8262 Mundubbera-Durong Road at Boondooma today. The Festival features Scottish pipe bands and dancers, folk singers and poets as well as Scottish food, games and more; and special guests this year include the Ishka Ceilidh Band, Celtic Psychosis, Velcro, the Leaping Lizards, the Noosa Pipe Band, Darryl Craft, the Rum City Highland Dancers and many others. A licensed bar will be running throughout the event and meals will be available too, as well as on-site camping and Highland games. Tickets for the full four days are $65 per head for adults (which includes a bush camping site) but you can just but a day ticket if you prefer (children under 14 are free). Today the Festival will largely be about setting things up - the core of the Festival will be Friday to Sunday - but tonight Ceilidh and Celtic Crossover will be taking to the stage after dusk to kick things off in style.
More details? Phone Buddy or Lynne on (07) 4168-0168 or the Caretaker on (07) 4168-0159. You can also see photos and read more about what last year's Scots In The Bush Festival was like on our website.
South Burnett Toastmasters - Kingaroy
- South Burnett Toastmasters will be holding a meeting in the Anzac Room of Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy at 7:00pm this evening. Toastmasters is a great way to learn how to speak in public and boost your self-confidence, and new members are always very welcome! Meetings are held on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Thursdays of the month. More details? Visit the South Burnett Toastmasters website
Blackbutt Agricultural Society
- The Blackbutt Agricultural Society will be holding their third Thursday of the month meeting at the main pavilion inside the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road at 7:00pm this evening. All interested people are welcome to attend.
Taras Hall Bingo - Nanango
- Bingo games will be held at Taras Hall immediately next to Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango at 9:00am this morning (doors open at 9:00am; eyes down at 10:00am sharp). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Old Time Dancing Classes - Murgon
- Old Time Dancing will be held at the South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon at 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. The class caters to all levels from beginners to advanced, all in a fun and social atmosphere lead by a qualified dance instructor. Class fees - which include tea and coffee - are just $4 if you're dancing, or $2 if you're watching. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 or send them an email.
St Joseph's Bingo - Murgon
- St Joseph's Parish Hall in Angel Avenue, Murgon will be hosting bingo games from 7:30pm this evening. There'll be $1000 in prizes on offer as well as a canteen and lucky bingo tickets. Proceeds will go to aid St Joseph's school and community works.
Pottery Class - Nanango
- Creative Connections at 8 George Street, Nanango will be running their regular Thursday pottery class from 9:30am to noon this morning. Class fees are $10 - which includes morning tea and materials - and participants should BYO apron. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Nazrin on 0415-392-466.
Kingaroy Community Kitchen
- The Kingaroy Community Kitchen will be holding its regular Thursday morning meeting at St Mary's Hall at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 9:30am to around 1:00pm today. Community Kitchen members learn how to cook a variety of budget conscious home-cooked meals, then sit down together for a communal lunch afterwards to enjoy the results for the cost of a gold coin donation. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
Zumba Class - Kingaroy
- A Zumba fitness class run by Ange George will be held at the Anglican Church Hall in Alford Street, Kingaroy at 6:00pm this evening. Classes are held at the same time and place every Tuesday and Thursday. Class fees apply.
National Seniors Meeting - Murgon
- The Murgon branch of National Seniors will be holding their latest bi-monthly meeting for 2017 at the Murgon Bowls Club at 103 Macalister Street, Murgon from 10:00am this morning (though you can come as early as 9:30am if you'd like an informal morning tea beforehand). Today is the group's regular bi-monthly meeting and all interested people are welcome. Afterwards, members usually adjourn to the Murgon Services Club for lunch. The group meets on the third Thursday of every second month and runs regular bus trips to nearby areas on alternate months. New members are always welcome. More details? Phone Paula on (07) 4168-3114 or (0438) 708-885.
Nanango Stags RLFC Meeting
- The Nanango Stags rugby league football club will be holding their monthly meeting at their clubhouse at Stags Oval on the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango's CBD at 6:00pm tonight. All members are very welcome to attend.
NaTDA Meeting - Nanango
- The Nanango Tourism & Development Association will be holding its monthly dinner meeting in the Long Hai Room at the Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango at 5:30pm this evening. NaTDA aims to assist, foster, instigate and/or manage any project that could contribute to the advancement of the communities in and around Nanango, and it represents the interests of the Nanango community, business and tourism operators. All interested people are very welcome to come along and get involved! Afterwards, the meeting will be followed by an informal, optional social dinner at the RSL's bistro. You can obtain more information by phoning Gloria Kirkness on (07) 4163-2848.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
RADF Information Session - Maidenwell
- The South Burnett Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) Management Advisory Committee will be hosting an information session at Maidenwell Hall at 10:00am this morning for groups and/or individuals who may be interested in applying for funding from the South Burnett's RADF fund. More details? Contact the SBRC's Community Development and Grants Officer Kimberley Donohue on (07) 4189-9100.
Council Grants Workshop - Kingaroy
- BIEDO and the South Burnett Regional Council will be jointly hosting a grants workshop at SBCare's Stanwell Room at the corner of Avoca and Kingaroy Streets, Kingaroy (opposite SupaIGA) from 5:00pm to 7:00pm this evening. Cr Danita Potter will explain what grants are available from the Council, and BIEDO will provide tips on resources that will help individuals and groups prepare thorough grant applications. The workshop costs $25 per person and tea, coffee and a light supper is included. Everyone is welcome, but to help plan the catering an RSVP to (07) 4169-5456 by Wednesday, August 16 would be greatly appreciated.
Tai Chi Class - Kumbia
- Kumbia's weekly Tai Chi class will be held in the lunch room at the Kumbia Sports Ground from 8:30am to 9:30am this morning. The class is for beginners and new members are always welcome.
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers will be available for $20.
Alcoholics Anonymous - Kingaroy
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other to help solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership. A.A. isn't allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organisation or institution. AA meets in Kingaroy every Thursday from 7:30pm at the "Biscuit Tin", behind St Mary's Church Hall, 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy. For more information, phone (07) 4162-5747.
Thursday, 17 August 2017