On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 14 September 2019
Blackbutt Avocado FestivalThe 2019 Blackbutt Avocado Festival will be held in the area stretching from Blackbutt's CBD down to Blackbutt Showgrounds from 7:00am this morning (with breakfast at the Country Canteen) through until 5:00pm this afternoon. Outside the Blackbutt Memorial Hall (aka Avo Central) in Bowman Road there'll be Avocado Rolling for big cash prizes, along with Avocado Tossing and Avocado Judging. And inside Avo Central, there'll be avocado cooking demonstrations by South Burnett Food Ambassador Jason Ford, along with avocado sales, games and demos. On the Showground's oval, skydivers will be attempting to land on a giant avocado. And elsewhere, visitors can browse a big range of market stalls or watch woodcutting competitions near the XXXX Gold Woodcutters Bar. The giant Ken Mills Toyota Street Parade will wend its way along the highway to the Showgrounds at 1:00pm, and there'll be live music all day thanks to Meandu Mine. There'll also be lots of activities and stalls to browse; fantastic street performers; plus displays of antique machinery, cars and all manner of other things. Nearly all Avocado Festival activities are free and the event is designed to be family-friendly. You can get the day's full activity program by clicking here, and everyone is welcome!
Nanango Spring Race Meeting
- The Nanango Race Club will be holding their annual Spring Race Meeting at the Lee Park Raceway off the D'Aguilar Highway just south of Nanango from 10:00am to around 5:00pm today. Today's races will have a "50s Spring Florals" fashion theme and everyone is encouraged to dress up in their most stylish outfits and/or accessories to be in the running for some great Moffatdale Ridge Fashions Of The Field spot prizes. The race club's popular Champagne@TheBit Bar will be serving up platters all day if you fancy a bite; a licensed bar and BBQ will be operating under the extended covered area; the race club canteen will be open for sit-down dining; and there'll be plenty of bookmakers and an on-course tote available in the betting ring to take your wagers, plus bucketloads of under-cover seating. A lot of people like to use the Spring race meeting for relaxed get-togethers, and you're welcome to picnic on the lawns or even bring your own marquee if you like. This will be a 5 race meeting and free buses will be running to the races from Kingaroy's Glendon Street Bus Depot (12:00 noon) and the rear of Nanango's Fitzroy Hotel at 12:25pm. The first race will leave the barriers around 1:00pm but gates will open at 10:00am so go-getters can get a head start on that all-important socialising. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for pensioners (under-15s are free). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Rosemary on (07) 4163-2346 or email her.
Heritage Nanango Country Music Muster
- The 2019 Heritage Nanango Country Music Muster will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango from September 12-15, and today the Muster will move into top gear with a mammoth Invited Artists Concert that will play from 9:00am right through to 11:00pm tonight. Confirmed artists for this year's Muster include Anthony Taylor, Jeff Brown, Paul McCloud, Keith Jamieson & Alisha Smith, Diane Lindsay & Pete Simpson, Brian Leeton, John O’Dea, Dean Perrett, Sharon Heaslip, Kira Rodrigues, Tom Maxwell, Graham Rodger, the Nanango Country Muster Band and the Lindsay Waddington Band. Admission today is $35, or $20 if you come after 3:00pm (young people aged 14 to 17 can get tickets for half price, and under-14s accompanied by an adult can get in for free). Camping will also be available at the Showgrounds and fees range between $7 and $9 per night for unpowered or powered sites. However, a booking for any camp site is essential because the Muster usually packs the Showgrounds to capacity. You can make one and/or get more details about this year's event on the Nanango Show Society's website or by phoning the Show Society on (07) 4163-1273.
2019 U16 125cc Queensland Speedway Titles - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Junior Motorcycle Speedway Club will be holding the first day of a weekend-long racing program inside the main ring at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 10:30am this morning (gates open at 8:00am). Today's racers will be contesting the 2019 U16 125cc Queensland Speedway Titles - for both individuals and pairs - and some of the best junior motorcycle speedway riders in the state will be taking part. Spectators are very welcome to come along and watch all the action for free, then congratulate the ultimate winners at the presentations that will follow. Tomorrow, racers will be battling it out for the 2019 250cc Queensland Speedway Title which promises even more adrenalin-fuelled fun!
SBCO Dinner Concert - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Community Orchestra will be running a Heroes, Villains & Freddie Mercury Charity Dinner Concert at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy this evening to raise funds for the QCWA's Public Rural Crisis Fund. Guests will get to enjoy a three course dinner and licensed bar while the Orchestra performs well-known movie soundtracks, accompanied by the SBCO Singers. Doors will open at 6:00pm (for a 6:30pm start) and tickets - at $60 per head - can be booked online.
Dance - Booie Hall
- A dance will be held at Booie Hall at 1226 Booie Road, Booie from 7:30pm until late tonight. Old Time dance music will be supplied by Mark's Music and there'll be a great supper, novelties and a lucky door prize, too. Admission is $10 for adults, or $5 for high school students and non-dancers. Everyone is welcome - especially younger people - and you can find out more by phoning Marie on 0439-794-027.
Golden Hits of Yesterday Tribute Show - Kingaroy
- Queensland singer Debbie Robertson will be performing the Golden Hits of Yesterday Tribute Show at the Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until around 10:30pm this evening. The show features hits from evergreen artists including Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Dusty Springfield, Doris Day, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Dolly Parton, Slim Dusty, Petula Clark, The Seekers and many more. Tickets are just $15 per head and can be booked by phoning (07) 4162-1055, or purchased at the hotel.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Nanango Scorpions Come & Try Day
- The Nanango Scorpions will be holding a Come & Try Day at the sports fields in Burnett Street, Nanango from 10:00am to 12:00 noon this morning. Players of all ages are welcome to come along and try out cricket - and with the 2019-20 cricket season just about ready to kick off, you can also find out more about local opportunities the sport offers this summer. The Come & Try morning is free and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone 0429-634-677
Full Sircle - Blackbutt
- Acoustic duo Full Sircle will be performing at the Bunya Nut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt from 6:00pm until late tonight after the Avocado Festival wraps up. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission charge. More details? Phone the Cafe on (07) 4163-0375.
Wooroolin Community Markets
- The Wooroolin Community Markets will be held inside the Wooroolin QCWA Rooms on the Bunya Highway at Wooroolin from 6:00am until around 12:00 noon this morning. The markets offer stalls, a sausage sizzle, fresh produce, plants and crafts and are run on the 2nd Saturday of every month except January. Stall fees are just $7.50 and new stallholders are always welcome. More details? Phone Janice on 0439-073-160 or send her an email.
Muddy Flats At The Palace - Nanango
- The South Burnett's favourite Indigenous band Muddy Flats will be performing at the Palce Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details? Phone Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Junior Motocross - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Junior Motorcycle Club will be hosting Round 3 of the 2019 South East Queensland Junior Motocross Series this weekend at their track off Edenvale Road near Kingaroy Airport. The club will be hosting 300 top riders from all around the State, as well as local riders. Today's racing will get underway early and will focus on younger juniors, veterans and women, while tomorrow's racing will focus on older juniors and seniors. There'll be a canteen running at the track all day, and tonight there'll be a pig on the spit dinner with some live entertainment from 5:30pm to 8:00pm. Spectators are very welcome to come along and watch all the action for free, as well as join in tonight's dinner with racers and fellow enthusiasts for a modest fee. Everyone is welcome!
Damper Cook-Off - Goomeri
- The Goomeri Caravan and Bush Camping Park on the Wide Bay Highway at Goomeri will be holding their first ever Damper Cook-Off Weekend from 10:00am today to 10:00am tomorrow. Competitors can try out their best damper recipes in whatever varieties they like to win one of three great camp oven prizes on offer, and competition is expected to be fierce amongst dedicated camp oven cooking entrhusiasts. Judging will take place at 4:00pm this afternoon, and prize-giving soon after that. Afterwards, there'll be a sausage sizzle, stew and damper dinner available onsite, followed by a movie night. Overnight campsites are available too from just $15 per couple and less for singles, but bookings are essential: 0418-734-060.
Trivia Night - Proston
- The Proston State School P&C will be running a Trivia Night at the Proston Golf Club on the Proston-Boondooma Road just out of town from 7:00pm tonight as a fundraiser. The theme will be "Roadtrip of Australia" and in addition to mind-snapping questions there'll be a lucky door prize, mini games and prizes for the best-dressed table and best costume. Play will take place in tables of six and playing fees are just $10 per head. There'll also be pork and beef rolls, tea and coffee available for purchase and a courtesy bus will be running, too. You can find out more and/or book a table by phoning Felicity on 0407-574-133 or Laine on 0435-313-409.
Tyson Clancy-Jones & DJ Ty - Kingaroy
- South Burnett entertainer Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until 10:00pm tonight, followed by DJ Ty who'll be spinning the platters until late. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Saturday Night Roast - Wondai
- Dimities Cottage at 49 Haly Street, Wondai will be offering a $15.00 roast dinner from 6:00pm tonight. Guests can choose between roast beef or pork with seasonal vegetables, but other menu options and sweets will be available as well. Bookings are essential, though: (07) 4168-5744.
Misfitz - Kingaroy
- Popular local duo Misfitz will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Mr Q And The Party Rockers - Kingaroy
- Mr Q And The Party Rockers will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Mr Q (ie Tony, Gavin and Craig) will be laying down their usual good time rock and roll, and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Saturday, 14 September 2019