On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Thursday, 14 February 2019
- Today is Valentines Day. According to legend the real Valentine was a Roman Christian who lived during the 3rd century A.D. when Emperor Claudius II declared all Christians guilty of treason because they refused to declare "Caesar is Lord!" in public. Valentine was thrown into prison where one of the guards was a good man who'd adopted a blind girl. He asked Valentine if his God could help his daughter, so Valentine prayed and the girl was given her sight. The guard and his whole family (some 46 people) were then baptized. But when the Emperor heard about this he was so furious about Valentine making converts in prison that he sentenced him to death. Just before being led out to his execution, though, the young Christian wrote a note to the jailer's daughter and signed it "from your Valentine". Over the centuries this has gradually led Valentines Day to be associated with love and romance. It's also traditionally one of the busiest days of the year for florists - so if you want to arrange flowers for your loved one the best advice is book early! And if you want to dine out in our region to mark the occasion, here are some suggestions:
- Mel's Diner in Alford Street, Kingaroy (opposite Shoppingworld) will be holding a two-course Valentines Day Roast Dinner from 6:00pm tonight. Guests can have a choice of roast beef, pork or chicken along with vegies and potato bake, along with a choice of five different desserts to follow. Tickets are $30 for adults and $10 for children (under-4s are free) but bookings are essential: (07) 4162-3628.
- The Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be offering a special Valentines Day menu in their restaurant tonight, offering an a-la-carte choice of starters, mains and desserts plus as free glass of bubbly or beer and sourdough with caramelised smoked butter on arrival. Bookings aren't essential but are probably advisable: (07) 4162-1677.
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be offering a Valentines Day menu with a choice of two mains (steak or chicken) and two desserts plus a free glass of wine, beer or soft drink on arrival. Mains are $25 per head, and mains plus dessert are $30 per head. You can make a booking by phoning the club on (07) 4162-1755.
- Utopia Cafe in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy will be hosting an inaugural Valentines Day Dinner from 6:00pm to around 10:00pm tonight. Chef Amy Prout will be presenting a three course set menu consisting of a shared entree; a choice of two mains (chicken or pork belly) and a shared dessert (four options). Guests are very welcome to BYO refreshments, too (corkage is included). Tickets are $50 per head and bookings - for a minimum of two people - are essential: 0425-742-047. Note: Bookings for this dinner closed on February 7.
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy have just launched a new menu, and they'll be serving up a few Valentines Day specials as well as their pasta, seafood, burgers, steaks and Australian classic pub bistro cuisine in their beer garden and their Nest dining area. You can reserve a seat by phoning (07) 4162-1380.
- Kingsley Grove Winery at Stuart Valley Drive off the Bunya Highway south-west of Kingaroy will be hosting a Valentines Day a Valentines Day dinner from 6:00pm today, offering a choice of eight different wood-fired pizzas, a choice of two side salads and dessert, along with a free glass of Kingsley Grove wine, beer and/or spirits on arrival. Bookings are essential, though: phone Jo on 0414-230-128.
- Jacaranda Tearooms in Blake Street, Proston will be hosting a Valentines Day Breakfast with as difference from 6:30am onwards this morning. For just $10, guests can chow down on a stack of four freshly cooked pancakes topped with delicious fresh cream or ice cream and their choice of topping. While bookings aren't strictly necessary, they're always appreciated: 0428-895-119.
- Dimities Cottage in Haly Street, Wondai (just opposite the Wondai Regional Art Gallery) will be offering a three course Valentines Day Dinner from 6:00pm tonight. Guests can choose between Fresh Prawn and Mango Salad, Caps Of The Country or Deep Fried Camembert with Cranberry Sauce for an entree; Roast Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad, Camembert and Bacon Chicken or Honey Mustard Butterfly Pork for a main; and Irish Cream Cheesecake, a Berry Pavlova Stack or a Black Forest Parfait for a dessert. Tickets are $35 per head and places are strictly limited. You can reserve one by phoning (07) 4168-5744.
- Whipbird Cafe at 21 Chaseling Street, Coolabunia will be hosting a Valentines Day Dinner from 6:00pm until around 9:00pm this evening. Guests can enjoy a three course meal, live music and a candle-lit table for $79 per head, but places are limited and bookings are a must: (07) 4162-7658
- Ringsfield House at 41-45 Alfred Street, Nanango will be hosting a Valentines Day Breakfast and a Valentines Day Dinner today. The breakfast will run from 8:00am to 10:30am this morning and will offer guests a gigantic Aussie breakfast along with barista-made coffee or a complimentary mimosa for $50 per couple. The dinner, which runs from 6:00pm to 8:00pm, will be a "Picnic Under The Stars" in Ringsfield's fairy-light strewn grounds, where couples can enjoy a deli-style dinner with cheese, crackers, fruits, nuts, deli meats and more along with a complimentary bottle of wine for $70 per couple. You can make a booking by phoning (07) 4163-3345.
- Murgon Services Club in Lamb Street, Murgon will be offering a Valentines Day menu with a choice of two entrees, two mains (fish or lamb) and two desserts plus a free glass of wine, beer or soft drink on arrival. Dinner is $40 per head, and the club's usual menu will be available as well. More details? Bookings? Phone the club on (07) 4168-1819.
Social Golf - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Golf Club at 51 Langton Road, Blackbutt will be running their weekly Sporters's Club game at 3:00pm this afternoon. This is a 6 hole event and everyone is welcome to come and enjoy a fun game of golf, as well as the chance to win a chook, golf balls or tees. Green fees are $5:00 for adults and $1:00 for children. More details? Phone the golf club on (07) 4163-0180.
Water Meeting - Kingaroy
- South Burnett Mayor Keith Campbell will be holding a meeting with irrigators and other groups interested in obtaining more water resources for the region at the Kingaroy Town Common Hall in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy from 2:00pm to 4:00pm this afternoon. The Council recently completed a draft scoping study which will set the terms that a consultant being hired to investigate future water supply options must meet. The purpose of today's meeting is to ask if any important matters have been overlooked before a final version of the study's parameters is drawn up. All interested people are welcome to attend.
St Joseph's Bingo - Murgon
- St Joseph's Parish Hall in Angel Avenue, Murgon will be hosting bingo games from 7:30pm this evening. There'll be $1000 in prizes on offer as well as a canteen and lucky bingo tickets. Proceeds will go to aid St Joseph's school and community works.
Old Time Dancing Classes
- Old Time Dancing will be held at the South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon at 1:00pm to 3:00pm this afternoon. The class caters to all levels from beginners to advanced, all in a fun and social atmosphere lead by a qualified dance instructor. Class fees - which include tea and coffee - are just $4 if you're dancing, or $2 if you're watching. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 or send them an email.
Taras Hall Bingo - Nanango
- Bingo games will be held at Taras Hall immediately next to Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango at 9:00am this morning (doors open at 9:00am; eyes down at 10:00am sharp). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Tai Chi Class - Kumbia
- Kumbia's weekly Tai Chi class will be held in the lunch room at the Kumbia Sports Ground from 8:30am to 9:30am this morning. The class is for beginners and new members are always welcome.
Kumbia Community Morning Tea
- Kumbia's monthly Community Morning Tea will be held at 10:00am this morning at the Kumbia QCWA rooms in Bell Street. Everyone is welcome along to this free get-together for residents who live in and around the Kumbia area, and you can enjoy some laughs and a great morning tea at no charge.
Yarraman Over 50s Club
- The Yarraman Over 50s Club will be holding their regular second Thursday of the month meeting at Kitty Cook House in Emmett Street. Yarraman from 9:30am this morning. The Over 50s Club is an active social group with around 40 members and meeting days can include activities such as cards, exercises, and choir practice, as well as lunch. The group also organise occasional bus trips. New members are always very welcome, and you can obtain more details by phoning Dale on (07) 4163-8375.
Thursday Yoga - Blackbutt
- Yoga classes will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. Class fees are $4 and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Pauline on 0437-606-699.
Understanding Your Pension - Kingaroy
- The Financial Information Service of the Dpt of Human Services will be holding a free "Understanding Your Pension" seminar covering deeming, the income and asset tests, concessions and self service options from 3:00pm to around 4:15pm this afternoon at Centre4elink's offices at the corner of Markwell and Glendon Streets, Kingaroy. Bookings are essential and can be made by calling 136-357. Note: If you can't make today's seminar, another will be held at the same times and location on April 11th.
Kingaroy Community Kitchen
- The Kingaroy Community Kitchen will be holding its regular Thursday morning meeting at St Mary's Hall at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 9:30am to around 1:00pm today. Community Kitchen members learn how to cook a variety of budget conscious home-cooked meals, then sit down together for a communal lunch afterwards to enjoy the results for the cost of a gold coin donation. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
MBDA Breakfast Meeting - Murgon
- The Murgon Business and Development Association will be holding its monthly meeting at the Royal Hotel at the corner of Gore and Lamb Streets in Murgon at 6:30am this morning (entry is via Gore Street). The MBDA represents the interests of the businesses and community of Murgon and districts, and monthly meetings discuss new developments in the area and community projects the group are undertaking or considering. Breakfast is $19 per head and an RSVP to Margaret on (07) 4168-2922 by 3:00pm on Wednesday, February 13, would be greatly appreciated for catering purposes. All interested people are very welcome to attend.
Tai Chi Classes - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Arthritis & Osteoporosis Support Group will be running Tai Chi classes at the Uniting Church Hall in Alford Street, Kingaroy this morning. An intermediate class will run from 9:00am to 10:00am, followed by a beginners class from 10:15am to 11:15am. The classes aim to help relieve pain and improve quality of life, relieve stress, sharpen concentration, and improve balance, posture and mobility. Class fees are $3 for each attendance plus a $20 fee to Arthritis Queensland for insurance. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone June 0419-026-760, Jan 0434-891-600 or Antonia 0431-149-816 (Note: these classes run every week during school terms except for public holidays).
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers are available for a modest price to people facing financial difficulties.
Alcoholics Anonymous - Kingaroy
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other to help solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership. A.A. isn't allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organisation or institution. AA meets in Kingaroy every Thursday from 7:30pm at the "Biscuit Tin", behind St Mary's Church Hall, 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy. For more information, phone (07) 4162-5747.
Thursday, 14 February 2019