On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Friday, 13 April 2018
Art Exhibition Opening - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Regional Art Gallery in Haly Street (opposite the peanut silos) will be opening its inaugural David Bryce Rural Art Awards at 6:30pm this evening. The Awards are named in honour of one of the South Burnmett's best-known artists, and more than 80 entrants from all over south-east Queensland will be vying for the seven Awards on offer, including the $2200 David Bryce Award. This year's Award winners will be announced over wine and cheese at 7:00pm. Everyone is welcome and admission is free. Note: After tonight's opening the exhibition will remain on display until May 27.
South Burnett Ag Network RSVP Deadline
- Today is the last day you can RSVP to attend the South Burnett Ag Network's quarterly meeting at Wondai on Tuesday, April 17 (see entry that day for all details).
Blackbutt History Morning
- The Blackbutt and District Tourism and Heritage Association will be holding a History Morning at Nukku Nook opposite the skate park in Hart Street, Blackbutt from 9:30am to around 12:00 noon this morning. This month's meeting will be hosting Brad Teakle, the Director of the Googa Outdoor Education Centre, as guest speaker. Bread will talk about the early history of Googa forestry and also detail the recent history of the Outdoor Education Centre and how it was transformed from a single men's forestry camp into the centre it is today, capable of accommodating a coeducational group of up to 48 students. The morning is free and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Iris on 0418-741-254, send her an email or visit the BDTHA website
Friday Night AFL Training - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints AFL Club will be holding their regular Friday night training session at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) at 5:30pm. The Saints field male, female and junior teams and train every Tuesday and Friday night. New players are always welcome.
Kingaroy RSL Bingo
- Bingo games will be running at Kingaroy RSL from 10:00am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be four jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help local good causes. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their regular Friday Afternoon Scroungers matches at 4:00pm today. A $5 match fee applies and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363.
Cuppa And Chat Group - Kingaroy
- The Cuppa and Chat Group will be holding its weekly meeting at The Biscuit Tin behind St Mary's Church at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am to around 11:00am this afternoon. As the name suggests, members enjoy a cuppa and biscuits baked in the community kitchen, and simply chat about whatever interests them. More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
Friday Night At The Shed - Nanango
- The Shed in Little Drayton Street, Nanango (just next to the Scott Car Park) will be open from 7:30pm until late tonight for local musicians and anyone else who enjoys music to come along, bring their instruments and jam in a relaxed and informal setting (or just sit on the Shed's lounges, listen in and enjoy the wide variety of talent on offer). The Shed fires up every Friday night, has no admission charge and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Jane on 0400-631-677.
Art With Lyn - Nanango
- Creative Connections at 8 George Street in Nanango will be hosting art classes with artist Lyn Felsman from 10:00am to 1:00pm today. Tuition fees are $15 per person - which includes morning tea - and participants should BYO art supplies and project. To book, phone Lyn on 0421-679-258.
Golden Spurs Campdraft - Proston
- The first day of the three-day Golden Spurs Campdraft will get underway at the Proston Showgrounds on the Proston-Boondooma Road at noon today with the Rod Kaye Bits ‘n’ Spurs Maiden A. Riders will be competing for $750 in prize mobies paid to the first six places as per ACA guidelines, and the winner will also receive a $300 Golden Spurs trophy donated by Rod Kay Bits ‘n’ Spurs. A bar, meals and entertainment will all be available onsite and admission is 100% free for spectators. Everyone is welcome!
Tai Chi Class - Blackbutt
- An open air Tai Chi class will be held at Les Muller Park at the corner of Hart and Coulson Streets in Blackbutt at 4:30pm this afternoon. The class will teach three simple, introductory Tai Chi moves and no prior experience is necessary. Everyone is welcome!
Wooly Rally - Wooroolin
- The first day of the three day Wooly Rally will kick off today when motorcyclists who plan to camp over find camping spots in Wooroolin's free parking area or near the Grand Hotel. To get the ball rolling, there'll be a Helmet Toss at 3:00pm, and this will be followed by pub karaoke at the Grand Hotel from 7:00pm until late. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone (07) 4164-2082.
Kingaroy QCWA Meeting
- The Kingaroy branch of the QCWA will be holding their regular second Friday of the month meeting at the QCWA Rooms in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy (just next to Kingaroy RSL) from 9:30am to around 12:00 noon this morning. The day will kick off with coffee and chats - the meeting itself starts at 10:00am - and visitors and potential new members are always very welcome. More details? Phone Lois on 0407-965-094.
Friday Afternoon Social Golf - Proston
- The Proston Golf Club on Brigooda Road, Proston will be holding a Friday afternoon social golf game today. Names need to be in by 2:00pm for a 2:30pm tee-off, and everyone is welcome. More details from the club on (07) 4168-9367.
Friday Afternoon Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games on the third green at the rear of the Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 3:00pm this afternoon. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4163-6022.
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers will be available for $20.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:30pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joan on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.
Friday, 13 April 2018