On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 01 September 2018
Spring Cent Auction - Nanango
- The Nanango RSL Citizen's Auxiliary will be holding their 5th annual Spring Cent Auction at Taras Hall next to the Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango this afternoon. Doors will open at 11:30am so early birds can inspect all the items on offer and formulate their bidding strategies. The auction itself will get underway at 1:00pm and conclude at around 2:30pm. There'll be lots of great items up for grabs - over 100 - and the $5 admission includes a free sheet of tickets and a great afternoon tea, plus a Lucky Door ticket. Everyone is welcome and all proceeds will go to aid the Auxiliary's work with the community and veterans. Tickets can be pre-purchased at the RSL from mid-August. More details? Phone Carol on (07) 4163-1435.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and attract up to 420 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Market Co-Ordinator on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
Men's Saturday Bowls - Yarraman
- The Yarraman Bowls Club in Margaret Street, Yarraman will be holding their weekly Men's Lawn Bowls games from 9:30am this morning. New players are always welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-8269.
Ride For Relay Barefoot Bowls - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Mountain Bike Club will be holding a fundraising event for this year's 'Ride For Relay' team at the Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman Street from 2:30pm and 5:30pm this afternoon. The Ride For Relay team will be making an epic 5-day ride between Murgon and Camp Duckadang, then back to Kingaroy Showgrounds this year as part of Relay For Life and there'll be barefoot bowls games on offer (always a lot of fun - but wear soft-soled shoes or go barefoot). There'll also be an afternoon tea available, a licensed bar in operation and a multi-draw raffle. Tickets are just $15 per head (under-12s are free) and everyone who'd like to support a great cause is very welcome. More details? Phone Jason on 0455-896-749.
South Burnett Football Grand Finals
- South Burnett football will be holding their 2018 Grand Finals at Tom Alford Oval at the end of Oliver Bond Street in Kingaroy this afternoon. In the Women's Division, Nanango's Panthers will play the Barambah Bears at 1:00pm, and this will be followed by the Men's Division clash between Wests and the Barambah Bears at 3:00pm. A canteen will be running on site and spectators are assured of two really great games of football as all four teams wrestle it out for victory. Note: Today's matches had originally been planned for Wondai, but were moved to Kingaroy early this week because the Wondai soccer fields have been knocked about by this year's dry, cold weather.
Murgon Cricket Sign-On Day
- Murgon's junior and senior cricket teams will be holding their 2018-19 season Sign On Day at the Murgon Sportsgrounds in Macalister Street from 10:00am to 12:00 noon this morning. Ex-Bulls player Chris Simpson will be on site and there will also be some skills sessions. This year, the Murgon Cricket Club will be running a Junior Blasters program for 4-7-year-olds (In2Cricket) on Thursdays from 4:00pm-5:00pm; and a Master Blasters program on Friday nights from 6:00-8:00pm for beginners (8-12-year-olds), so all ages are very welcome.
Rugby League Preliminary Final - Kingaroy
- Rugby league fans should head to T.J. O'Neill Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 6:30pm tonight to watch the A-grade Preliminary Final between Kingaroy's Red Ants and the Murgon Mustangs, both of whom are seeking a Grand Final berth to play Nanango's Stags next week. A bar and canteen will be operating and everyone is very welcome. Meanwhile, junior league matches will be played in Gayndah this week.
Garage And Boot Sale - Proston
- The Proston Men's Shed will be holding a Spring Garage and Boot Sale and an auction at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston from 8:00am until noon today (auction starts at 10:00am). There'll be tea, coffee and soft drinks available along with a sausage sizzle, and all proceeds will go to farmers' drought relief.
101st Annual Wondai Show
- The 101st Annual Wondai Show will get underway at the Wondai Showgrounds at the end of Baynes Street in Wondai at 8:30am this morning and will run until late tonight. Highlights of this year's Show include judgings of dogs, horses, poultry, stud beef and dairy cattle; pavilion and trade displays; sideshow alley; displays of antique tractors stationary engines and arts and crafts; chainsaw racing; a ute and truck show; a performance by the Wondai & District Town Band; entertainment by the St Mary's Whip Cracking Team and Amber Goldsmith; barrel racing at 4:00pm and an action-packed bull ride at 6:00pm. Admission to today's Show is $10 for adults, $6 for pensioners and $6 for high school students with ID, and food and drink will be available throughout the day.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Charity Bike Ride - Cooyar
- A Charity Bike Ride to raise money for the Cooyar Hotel's UGLY Bartender entrant Karyn Williamson and leukaemia research will depart the Cooyar Hotel at 10:00am this morning and return at around 3:30pm this afternoon after a 260km round trip over a mystery course. Cars are welcome as well as motorcyclists, and you can obtain more details by phoning (07) 4692-6185.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Two Bob Short - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett band Two Bob Short will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Kennel Jam Session - Hivesville
- The monthly Kennel Jam Session will be held at the Hivesville Hotel in Main Street, Hivesville from 5:00pm until late tonight. All musicians young and old are welcomed at these sessions, and so are all music genres. All the necessary backline gear is provided, too - just bring along your guitar, your voice and your friends and enjoy a great night of music. Accommodation is available at special rates for music lovers on the night, there's free camping nearby, and dinner will be served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Kingaroy Junior Cricket Sign-On Day
- Kingaroy Junior Cricket will be holding a Come & Try and Sign-On Day at Lyle Vidler Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (next to Beangrowers) from 10:00am to noon this morning. New players are very welcome!
Ringsfield House Clearing Sale - Nanango
- A clearance sale of kitchen gear and other surplus items from Ringsfield House will be held at Kimlin Road, Nanango (behind Showgrounds) at 10:00am this morning. Proceeds will go to the Nanango Historical Society.
Saturday, 01 September 2018