On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 19 October 2019
Wondai Races Caulfield Cup Meeting
- The South Burnett Race Club will be holding its annual Wondai Races Caulfield Cup Meeting meeting at the Wondai race track in Baynes Street, Wondai from around 11:30am today. A highlight will be the running of the Roy & Glennis Radunz Wondai Cup, which will contested by local reigning champion Clouds against a top field of contenders. The theme of today's meeting is "Spring Florals" and guests are encouraged to dress to this theme to be in the running for great prizes in the Fashions Of The Field competition. As usual, the meeting will feature an on-course TAB; live telecasts of Brisbane and interstate races (along with interstate betting fluctuations); a vigorous undercover betting ring; a great BBQ and bar and a Punters Podium. The always popular Lady Luck Cocktail Bar will be in full swing, too, along with the track's canteen. Today's meeting will feature a full card of five races and entry to the track is just $10. Wondai's Caulfield Cup meeting is always the South Burnett Race Club's biggest meeting of the year and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the race club on (07) 4168-5530.
- The South Burnett Speedway Club will be holding their first meeting of the new racing year at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street from 2:00pm this afternoon (when gates open) until late tonight. More than 110 competitors have nominated for this meeting, including 21 Street Stocks which will be contesting Round 1 of the Edge Automotive and Performance Street Stock Series; Production Sedans; Modifieds; Junior Sedans (New Stars and Top Stars) and Wingless Sprints. In addition, a field of 28 will be competing in Round 3 of the Campbell’s Truck & Bobcat Modlites Qld Series. Racing will start at 4:00pm and entry is $25 for adults and $15 for pensioners and students (with school ID). Children 12 and under are free, and family passes (two adults and three students) are $65. You can get more information - and a full program - on the Speedway Club's website
Waterhole Rocks - Nanango
- The third day of the four-day Waterhole Rocks rock'n'roll campout weekend will roar into life at the Nanango Showgrounds this morning and continue on until late tonight. The festival is devoted to all things associated with 1950s and 1960s rock 'n' roll. This includes hot rods, custom cars, vintage caravans, driving games and dance lessons, all backed up by rock'n'roll acts. The Festival will get underway at 9:00am today with an hour of music from Jeff Hancox, followed by Muddy Flats playing from 10:00am to 1:00pm, then Little Stevie and the Tail Fins to 5:00pm, and then a Fashion Competition to 6:00pm. After this, Jeff Hancox will perform from 6:00pm to 7:00pm, and then the Rock & Roll Boys will play to 11:00pm. A bar and canteen will be operating in the grounds and entry to the festival is $20 today (or you can buy a weekend pass for $40). Powered and unpowered campsites are also available at the Showgrounds for a nominal amount per night if you want to bunk down in the grounds. Everyone is welcome and the Festival will rock on right through until Sunday afternoon. More details? Phone the Nanango Show Society on (07) 4163-1273 or Terry on (07) 4163-1999 or 0409-496-167.
International Rural Women's Day Lunch - Moffatdale
- The QRRRWN will be hosting an International Rural Women's Day luncheon at Hidden Gold Homestead in Waterview Drive, Moffatdale from 11:00am to 2:30pm today. For $55 per head, guests will be greeted with a complimentary wine or soft drink on arrival, a buffet lunch and desserts plus complimentary tea and coffee. Barista coffee, soft drinks and South Burnett wines will also be available for purchase, as well as raffle tickets. The luncheon will be addressed by three guest speakers - Nanango State High School captain Kate Perrett; Eidsvold ringer and station hand Olivia Frahm; and Roma nurse Mikaela Greenslade. Tickets can be purchased on EventBrite. More details? Phone Skye on 0438-513-335 or Kayleen on 0428-624-550.
Model Aero Fly-In - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Aeromodellers Society will be holding the first day of a two-day Model Aero Fly-In at the KAMS flying field at 844 Booie-Crawford Road, Booie from 8:30am until this evening. KAMS members fly model aeroplanes of all types, and this weekend's annual get-together will be drawing fellow aeromodellers from all over south-east Queensland. It's also a great opportunity for locals to come try the sport as well. Admission is free. There's also gold coin donation on-site camping available if you want to stay over. More details? Phone John on 0408-879-286, Neil on 0418-987-422 or Dennis on 0458-622-895.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Bingo & Games Night - Kingaroy
- Taabinga State School will holding a Bingo and Games Night Extravaganza from 6:00pm this evening at the Taabinga School Hall in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy. Prizes include a $1000 jackpot and a flat-screen TV. BYO snacks but a licensed bar will be operating, so no BYO drinks! Ticket price includes raffle tickets and bingo book. Tickets can be booked online for $20 per person. Child-minding will be available from 5:45pm ($5 per child or $10 per family).
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Amber Goldsmith At The Palace - Nanango
- Popular South Burnett country artist Amber Goldsmith will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight, performing an upbeat mix of classic covers and originals. Admission is free. More details from Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Murgon Men's Shed Garage Sale
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a garage sale at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) from 7:30am today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Murgon Veterans Tournament
- The Murgon Tennis Association will be hosting the first day of their weekend-long annual Veterans Tournament at their courts in Gore Street, Murgon from 7:30am to around 4:30pm today. Food will be available onsite and spectators are very welcome.
Saturday Morning Tennis - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Tennis Club in Hart Street, Blackbutt (just up the road from the Radnor Hotel) will be running social tennis games from 8:00am this morning. New players are always welcome.
- The newly-formed Nanango parkrun group will be holding its weekly 5km timed walk/run along the Ros Gregor Trail at Tipperary Flat next to the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event (search for "Ros Gregor Trail" to find the group - but if you can't find it, just register and bring along the barcode).
Full Sircle Acoustic Duo - Blackbutt
- Acoustic duo Full Sircle will be performing at the Scrubby Creek Bar next to the Bunyanut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt from 6:00pm to 10:00pm this evening. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the cafe on (07) 4163-0375.
Oktoberfest - Nanango
- Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango will be holding an all-day Oktoberfest from 10:00am this morning through until late tonight. Guests can experience the tastes of Germany with share plates of pork knuckle, zemmel knodel, zwiebelkuchen, sauerkraut, pretzels and other traditional German foods (single plates are also available). Oktoberfest lunch tickets include a stein and a complimentary drink to fill it, along with a German share plate and dessert, and there'll be a German band from Brisbane playing from noon for entertainment, along with bar bell promotions and raffles. And if you stick around for dinner, a $20 Oktoberfest dinner ticket includes a German meal, stein and complimentary drink. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
DJ iLLp Rhythm and Beats Party - Kingaroy
- DJ iLLp and his guests will be spinning the platters at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy, from 9:00pm until around 1:00am tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Arthur Nettelfield - Kingaroy
- Popular country rock entertainer Arthur Nettelfield will be performing at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm until around 11:30pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Kingaroy Friendship Markets
- The third Saturday of the month Friendship Markets will be held at the River Road end of the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 7:00am to around 12:00pm today. The markets are jointly run by the Kingaroy Rotary Club and Kingaroy Show Society and feature a great range of arts, crafts, fruit and gvarden stalls, plus unusual bric-a-brac. New stallholders are always very welcome! More details? Phone Wayne on 0432-355-166.
80s Night At The Royal - Murgon
- The Royal Hotel at the corner of Lamb and Gore Streets, Murgon will be holding an 80s Night from 6:00pm until late this evening. Guests are encouraged to dress in their best 1980s gear and party the night away to 1980s hits played by CK Music (aka Clowry Kennel). Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4168-1799.
- Round 2 of the South Burnett's 2019-20 cricket competition will get under way at four venues across the region at 12:30pm today. In Murgon, Cherbourg will play Southern District Devils at Murgon State High School; in Kingaroy, Kallindale Warriors will play Murgon at Lyle Vidler Oval; in Wondai, Wondai will play Blackbutt at the Wondai Sportsground; and in Nanango, Nanango will play Kumbia at the Nanango Sportsgrounds in Burnett Street. Meanwhile - in the Gympie competition - Murgon will play Western Gympie at the Murgon Sportsgrounds in Macalister Street. Spectators are welcome at all games, and canteens will be operating at most of them.
David Lynch Jr - Kingaroy
- Popular entertainer David Lynch Jr will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets in Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Garage Sale Trail
- The annual Garage Sale Trail will be held around the South Burnett today. You can find out locations and times on our website.
Australian Army Band Concert - Kingaroy
- SOLD OUT: The Australian Army Band will be performing in concert at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy at 1:00pm today. Note: This concert is sold out, but the band will also be performing a free concert at Wondai's Coronation Park from 4:00pm to 6:00pm on Sunday.
Percussion Workshop - Kingaroy
- Day 1 of a two-day Percussion Workshop organised by the South Burnett Community Orchestra will be held at the Uniting Church Hall in Kingaroy today. The workshop will be led by Education Queensland percussion specialist Jeff Jarrott. For more information, contact the SBCO by email
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Saturday, 19 October 2019